Discuss Light weight backer board in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

serval

TF
Reaction score
I need to overboard an 1800 wide paramount plasterboard wall that only has studs at 900 centres. (one at each and and one in the middle running vertically) part of the wall will be in a shower cubicle so needs good waterproofing

i think hardi or even aquapanel might be a bit too heavy and wanted something lighter that i might be able to supplement the mechanical fixings with something like ct1.
will be tanking it but would still like a water resistant board for extra peice of mind

Had a bit of a search on here and came across bal board which seems like it could be worth a try. Is it much ligher than aquapanel?

any suggestions?

Last edited:
P

Philbert

Have you had a look at the 6mm Abacus Elements boards, they're very light weight? Not sure if these would suit your installation, but well worth a look. The boards are 1220 x 610 so if you hang them in landscape form, you'd need 2 boards cut to 900 length each, for each 610mm vertical height and would be able to have a fixing at each stud. The boards usually need mechanical fixings at 300mm centres, but they also have an adhesive called FIX-KST which may be sufficient when coupled with the mechanical fixings. I used these in a recent refurb with great results and got mine from Rubberduck Bathrooms in Redcar. There are videos on Skilbuilder (Youtube) on this product.

serval

TF
Reaction score
Have you had a look at the 6mm Abacus Elements boards, they're very light weight? Not sure if these would suit your installation, but well worth a look. The boards are 1220 x 610 so if you hang them in landscape form, you'd need 2 boards cut to 900 length each, for each 610mm vertical height and would be able to have a fixing at each stud. The boards usually need mechanical fixings at 300mm centres, but they also have an adhesive called FIX-KST which may be sufficient when coupled with the mechanical fixings. I used these in a recent refurb with great results and got mine from Rubberduck Bathrooms in Redcar. There are videos on Skilbuilder (Youtube) on this product.

Thanks Philbert, I ended up ripping out one side of the wall in order to fit a concealed shower valve and pipe work etc.

While i was at it i added a bunch of vertical timbers and noggings so ive not got some more stuf work to fix to.
Even though ive added the stud work, im now swaying towards a waterproof light weight board as opposed to a heavy, water resistant one.
Ill take a look at the abacus board though as these could be a good solution cheers

Reply to Light weight backer board in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks