Discuss Levelling System in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

X

xlilgemx84

Hi

I'm new on here and just had my floor tiled with 80x80 porcelin tiles.
I knew it was a hard job and would not get it perfect. After the job had been done I have now heard about the tile levelling spacer system and am now gutted that this could have been used as there's some uneven tiles!

Would it have made a huge difference?

One room had been self levelled first and the others had the small red quarry tiles underneath.

Thanks

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

http://www.tilersforums.com/threads/tuscan-leveling-system.42220/

Possibly yeah.

I've never used myself. My gripe with them is that if a tile is dipping you need more adhesive under it, and simply pulling he tile up risks not having a 100% solid bed. So I'd assume you need a sloppy mix so that it can run around under there and fill all voids. Then you're not really mixing the mix to the instructions; you're adding more water.

That said, the professionals who have used them seem to like them. So maybe I just need to have a go sometime. I don't actually tile anymore though.

J

J Sid

Yes, if used correctly they could make a big difference .
Some are not cheap, and at the end of the day you get what you pay for with labour and / or materials

O

Old Mod

I use the Rubi system when needed, they're part of my kit now.
Not actually for diy'ers or the newbie Tilers really, they take getting used to and there's a certain touch to them, but once mastered they're fast I think. But they don't do the job for u! They're only an aid that's why I don't think they're for the novice. As voids will form if not used correctly, it takes a bit of know how and experiance to know what's happening beneath the tile. But that's only my opinion, cos I know there's a lot of guys with theirs! Haha :D

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a recommended adhesive or do you stick to what the tile / substrate requires?

O

Old Mod

No specific adhesive for the system, just use what u need for the situation. I'll admit u need to have a slightly wetter mix, but still well within tolerances. I can walk away in the evening knowing that when I return the next day it'll be exactly how I left it. How many times do u return thinking that you're sure it didn't look that way last night! :confused:
I know it's happened to me more times than I care to remember!

X

xlilgemx84

Thanks everyone would have loved to known before hand and would have paid for the system even if exspensive as I bought so many tiles!

They are all down now so could change them in a couple of years. Just put so much time into picking them and buying other materials.

Still learning about it all so next time will hopefully know a lot more and buy anything that will assist.

Is it best to use 60x60 but have got two large rooms that are in?

O

Old Mod

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I always use them with porcelain planks now with a broken bond. Try to make it look as much like a natural timber floor as I can, and the answer to that is using lash clips as far as I'm concerned.

Reply to Levelling System in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks