Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Levelling clips in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I'm going to be using levelling clips for the first time later this week. Are there any do's or dont's for using them, or any other tips that would help me out. Thanks in advance for any advice...

Joshjupp

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm going to be using levelling clips for the first time later this week. Are there any do's or dont's for using them, or any other tips that would help me out. Thanks in advance for any advice...
Keep your grout joints clean or they don’t snap out properly and I use a spacer aswell to make sure the joints are the same as sometimes when you tighten up the wedge it pushes the joint out wider.
I cut a paintbrush bristles down shorter and clean the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ out of the joints that way easier than a sponge :)

O

On one

Keep your grout joints clean or they don’t snap out properly and I use a spacer aswell to make sure the joints are the same as sometimes when you tighten up the wedge it pushes the joint out wider.
I cut a paintbrush bristles down shorter and clean the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ out of the joints that way easier than a sponge :)
Just going to say the same.
Try to make sure you try to get the tiles flush to start with , rather than trying to pull the tiles flush with the wedges or pliers.

O

Old Mod

Don’t expect the clips to do the work for you, that’s a rookie mistake.
Their sole purpose is to hold the piece in place while the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ sets, it prevents shrinkage.
As Wrighty says, get the tile in the right place first, before you tighten up.
On your first use and first few courses it’s worth adding a few extra per joint in case you snap a few whilst getting to know how to use them.
So if you snap a couple you’ll have extra pieces in the joint already. Just slide them across to where you need them.
You can try soaking the clips in water 30min before use, this generally helps them to stretch when you over tighten, rather than snap.
The cheaper they are, generally the more likely they are to snap, basically the plastic is harder and more brittle, that’s why there’s no give in them, they just snap when over tightened.
For me, best value is the ‘block’ system from ferramentaweb in Italy.
Order Monday, receive by Friday.
Around £170 all in and delivered.

Levelling clips
And these respond well to being soaked prior to use, I don’t think I’ve ever snapped a 1mm they just stretch.
I always use pliers when I use mine.
Push up 3/4 to start, check your piece is flush and tighten.
Get a wedge and slide across the joint, it should not catch either tile in either directions.
Slide the wedge sideways (long side) over the joint, if it clicks or stops, re set you tile. And try again.

Reaction score
Use your wedge to bed the tile down that last millimetre after you’ve already collapsed your https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ ridges. Try to see the system as a way of holding everything together, not just an anti lippage system.

Balloo

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Don’t expect the clips to do the work for you, that’s a rookie mistake.
Their sole purpose is to hold the piece in place while the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ sets, it prevents shrinkage.
As Wrighty says, get the tile in the right place first, before you tighten up.
On your first use and first few courses it’s worth adding a few extra per joint in case you snap a few whilst getting to know how to use them.
So if you snap a couple you’ll have extra pieces in the joint already. Just slide them across to where you need them.
You can try soaking the clips in water 30min before use, this generally helps them to stretch when you over tighten, rather than snap.
The cheaper they are, generally the more likely they are to snap, basically the plastic is harder and more brittle, that’s why there’s no give in them, they just snap when over tightened.
For me, best value is the ‘block’ system from ferramentaweb in Italy.
Order Monday, receive by Friday.
Around £170 all in and delivered.

Levelling clips
And these respond well to being soaked prior to use, I don’t think I’ve ever snapped a 1mm they just stretch.
I always use pliers when I use mine.
Push up 3/4 to start, check your piece is flush and tighten.
Get a wedge and slide across the joint, it should not catch either tile in either directions.
Slide the wedge sideways (long side) over the joint, if it clicks or stops, re set you tile. And try again.
I use cheap Chinese twist and lock for replacement of broken clips

Balloo

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Have you got a link Tommy?
try this link not sure if this will work

Have you got a link Tommy?
Make sure they come from y step shop , I bought a second order from amazon and they came from another company and they were rubbish

Last edited:

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
is it though @Balloo? I wasn't trying to be smart, i genuinely wanted to double check as i'll give them a go :)

Last edited:

Reply to Levelling clips in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock