Discuss Levelling a wall before tiling in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

Old Mod

Thank you all very much. Great forum for people like me to get a better understanding of what I need to do and how to do things the right way.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed, I'll be sure to let you know how I get on.

Yes, please do come back and let us know how you got on.
Thank you for the positive feedback, it goes a long way with the members, we all give our time for free and it’s always good to know it’s appreciated. :)

Reaction score
Hi guys a quick update for you...... So everything was stripped out walls reboarded and started again. Update progress picture below.
IMG_20190925_185542.jpg

Reaction score
Tiler Durden thanks for your input too. Picture attached below the brown mortar bits are covering the new pipes but they aren't flush as you can probably see from the picture the pipes are still visible in parts. So the dark brown patches are slightly higher than the rest of the wall. Could I possibly use a cement and sand mixture similar to that used to conceal the pipes to level the whole of that wall?

Many thanks View attachment 109129
View attachment 109129
Not sure about the UK but in US we don't tile over sheet rock to begin with. I would remove all of it and use cement board or similar product. Do not allow it to set against pan like it is now as it will wick water. Also don't install finish fixtures until after you tile. Make sure you get the proper depth of valves and accessories so when you tile your trim fits properly. Honestly your substrate is not good enough to hang tile. Also make sure you waterproof it with Red Guard or similar product and before you hang your board put a vapor barrier behind boards. If you use plastic sheeting it needs to be at least 3mm thick. Good luck.

Reply to Levelling a wall before tiling in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks