Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Leveling floor with cement board in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

average

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Ive to tile 2 floors that are in 1 room with a dividing wall half way across the middle however im in a tricky spot and with floor levels. Its an old house and floors where in a bad way. In one room ive grinded it down all flat and near level as i can get it. Theres also an inch step into the other room where the floor levels are bad. If i put my long level on the step and the other end of the level resting on packers that are 15mm on the floor, its reading level. Then level over to the screed at the front door, its reading level.

I usually use nomoreply for leveling however my local store only has 6mm NMP untill after xmass. IS it ok to use cement board at 3/4 inch instead. Im not to sure as ive only seen CB used on timber on first floors and never onto screed.

OP
A

average

TF
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that someone suggested using insulated tile backer boar for where its an inch thick and reduce it down to 6mm where its near the front door and use self leveler to work towards the thinner parts.

H

Handyeire

You can't use cement board over concrete floors going by what I've read on other forums. Maybe some of the pro tilers will say otherwise however anytime I've read up about it, they say hardibacker can't be used on concrete. It's designed for over play.

I would say this would be the same for the cement boards with insulation balls through it as well though I could be wrong. Again, some of the pros might disagree.

As for your last post OP, what someone suggested could be done. I've seen other insulation boards been installed on screed floors. Sure aren't some of the wet room trays made of just rigid insulation boards. Maybe use something similar to pack that side of the floor out then blend in with addy or SLC.

The forum has been quiet lately with the run up to xmass so if you don't get the advice you need, maybe just order a take away for your xmass dinner lol. All jokes aside, I wish you good luck on your deadline.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hardibacker no, NMP yes

H

Handyeire

Hardibacker no, NMP yes

Why no Hardie backer. Is it because you've read it somewhere as well or actually know why? If hardie is installed on to screed with flexi addy then flexi addy used above then why not if aloud on top of a timber floor with ply.

H

hmtiling

I've found 6mm nmp to warp when fixed with tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/. Wouldn't try it again.

F

Flintstone

Why no Hardie backer. Is it because you've read it somewhere as well or actually know why? If hardie is installed on to screed with flexi addy then flexi addy used above then why not if aloud on top of a timber floor with ply.

You have just made the statement that it can’t be used and now you are suggesting it can be.

Nmp say you can and hardie say you cannot. There’s no point using either on a solid floor anyway when insulation board it better easier and cheaper

H

Handyeire

You have just made the statement that it can’t be used and now you are suggesting it can be.

Nmp say you can and hardie say you cannot. There’s no point using either on a solid floor anyway when insulation board it better easier and cheaper

I have been just going on what I've read online however I've know of some who have used it. Not myself thou.

What if one can't get the insulation board. NMP should do ok but I wouldn't build it up just in case.

Reply to Leveling floor with cement board in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock