Discuss Laying travertine on electric underfloor heating. in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all, I can't seem to find a thread with the info I need so hopefully someone can help 🤞

I have a 25 sqm extension which I have just built for a customer which he now wants tiled with honed and filled travertine tiles 600x300 from Topps tiles layed in brick bond format,

I have had a tiler friend of mine come and quote the job, then he calls me a few days later and says he is a little worried about the tiles cracking,

At the moment it's a concrete screed with latex on top, and insulated cement boards combed with tile Addy onto the screed with the recommended expansion gaps around the outside edge,

Electric underfloor heating will be fitted next week and latexed ready to tile!

Can the tiles be laid with a flexible Addy straight into the screed without cracking?

D

Dumbo

You really want to use An antifracture membrane or movement membrane on top or you could use something like dural cifh which is membrane and ufh combined . But be aware most honed and filled trav isn't good quality

ttt tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Travertine will crack at the drop of a hat , you could overlay with ditra matting which should help matters.
Better still use porcelain!

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, very helpful!

I heard you need the antifracture membrane but when I checked the bal sitework guidence it doesn't specify you need to use it.

Are there any other travertines which are better? Thanks.
[automerge]1568836303[/automerge]
My customer is pretty set on using travertine 🤦🏻‍♂️

Albert

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, very helpful!

I heard you need the antifracture membrane but when I checked the bal sitework guidence it doesn't specify you need to use it.

Are there any other travertines which are better? Thanks.
[automerge]1568836303[/automerge]
My customer is pretty set on using travertine 🤦🏻‍♂️
A lot of porcelain lookalikes out there

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
What about using Ditra heat, 2 birds, one stone....

Bopster

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I laid honed and filled trav in my own house with wet overlay ufh. Ditra matting then flexi adh. Been down 5 years so far without any cracks. Only issue I have is filler expands/contracts differently to the Stone and becomes loose. I have some tenax filler for this those small jobs though

S

Spare Tool

Did an extension in travertine on a wet heated floor the other year, original tilers had gone straight on the screed and had more cracks than Amsterdam central 🙄 ...had to join up to original so only had height to go for a thin crackmat, not one crack in the extension up to now, wouldn't lay any natural stone on ufh without it..

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
You definitely need an uncoupling membrane with natural stone.

Topps travertine is not good quality. You will need double the quantity as every box will have cracked and damaged tiles. It will take the tiler half a day just to check the tiles for damage etc.

I was on a job a few years ago where i had to go back to Topps 3 times to exchange boxes of bad travertine.

J

J Sid

Isn't it now BS recommendations to use uncoupling with all stone on ufh?

Travertine laid / fixed correctly will be fine onto correctly prepared substrate.
Ditra with solid bed and back buttered tile and correct movement joints is needed

Reaction score
Yeah I wasn't happy with the amount of unfilled pits in the underside when I looked, any recommendations of an online company to buy it from?

Thanks

Reply to Laying travertine on electric underfloor heating. in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks