Discuss Laying tiles over ManHole Cover in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

sampayne21

Hi All,

Looking for some advice or some creativity to access an internal manhole.

Now, its in our kitchen extension, which has been there for around 20 years and has never caused a problem (previously boarded over with cut boards for access) its fully sealed and screwed down etc never had a smell or anything.

Now has come the time to replace and intend to tile the whole floor.
So seeing as there is already a manhole cover recessed beneath the concrete, does anyone sell some sort of lid (not a recessed manhole cover) that can be tiled and then removed, but also look extremely subtle.

Thanks for any help in advance

P

prceramics

378674_180407245384201_1620854134_n.jpg
this is quite easy to do using tile trim

S

sampayne21

Thanks for the reply,

Have you used this as a type of lid with an additional manhole underneath? or is this actually a recessed manhole cover?

Tony73

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hello and :welcome:. We had same thing in boiler room. Originally suposed to be 3mm vinyl, but then client asked to tile floor. So we fitted 15mm aliuminium trim (tiles 12mm thick)
putney basement (2).jpg putney basement (3).jpg putney basement (7).jpg putney basement (8).jpg
good luck :thumbsup:

putney basement (2).jpg putney basement (3).jpg putney basement (7).jpg putney basement (8).jpg

T

Time's Ran Out

Make it into a recessed 'well' and cover it with plate glass!
Not very subtle but a great talking point.

T

True Tiling

It's not going to be subtle I'm afraid, but as you live in a house with flooring which was not intended for over-tiling originally, I'm sure you realise the limitations of thus. Have you thought about exposing the original floor with another company? (I hate to tile over old floors!) Please forgive me.
I've been asked to level and tile a perfect Yorkshire Stone kitchen floor in the past. I did it, with his choice of rubbish B&Q ceramic tiles. Such a shame....

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
some nice cutting round them manholes ,but not what i would do,how many times do you have to lift the cover? think i would board it level with the floor and tile over it ,keep a little diagram of where it is and a few spare tiles in case you ever need to get at it,good luck with whatever you decide to do

S

Sandra H

Hello and :welcome:. We had same thing in boiler room. Originally suposed to be 3mm vinyl, but then client asked to tile floor. So we fitted 15mm aliuminium trim (tiles 12mm thick)
View attachment 44832 View attachment 44833 View attachment 44834 View attachment 44835
good luck :thumbsup:

View attachment 44832 View attachment 44833 View attachment 44834 View attachment 44835
:)

Where did you get your manhole cover from to tile onto? All the ones I have seen are aluminum and look too raised to put tiles on? Need a new one for our kitchen and need to tile over to blend with the flooring. Any help will be appreciated :)

Reply to Laying tiles over ManHole Cover in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks