Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Laying porcelain over concrete paving slabs in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi there,

I'm about to undertake a job involving laying 60cm x 60cm porcelain slabs in my garden. The area I wanted to cover currently has old concrete paving slabs that are still solid, but have seen better days and aren't perfectly level. My question is can I lay the porcelain tiles on a mortar bed (6 to 1 mix?) with a slurry primer directly over the concrete kavjbg slabs, or do I need to rip them up and lay a sub base, so start all over again? Or even lay a sub base over the pavers, then lay concrete slab and use https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/? For ref, I have lots of cement and building sand left over from a previous job, but want to do this properly, hence the question.

I'm a new tiler, but pretty efficient DIYer in other fields, and familiar with working with mortar and cements of various mixes, so pretty confident I can do a decent job once I'm over this issue. Any advice greatly appreciated!

OP
S
Reaction score
Morning, i would be definitely starting afresh , a disaster waiting to happen if you did.
Good luck. đź‘Ť
Thanks! Just out of curiosity, would the same advice go for any other type of tile (thinking sandstone or other natural stone).

F

F layer

Morning, i would be definitely starting afresh , a disaster waiting to happen if you did.
Good luck. đź‘Ť
Why if your substrate is solid with no movement what are your concerns? Please explain why you have come to this conclusion

Reply to Laying porcelain over concrete paving slabs in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock