Discuss Laying costs for porcelain tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

E

epymsam

I'm getting a bathroom fitted, but my fitter says he charges £20/m2 extra for fitting porcelain tiles. I know that they more difficult to cut / drill than ceramics, but isn't a £20/m2 premium a little steep?

If anyone is interested in the job (small bathroom approx 12 m2 total (floor and walls) in Wimbledon SW London, then please reply with your rates. Note, there's not too much cutting involved really. The only complicated bit is around a toilet pan, and around the pipework for the basin taps.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
It could be a reasonable charge to be honest. If the tile can't be cut with the usual quick dry-cutter the tiler may need to 'wet-cut' each cut tile so even in a small bathroom, especially walls and floor, this could slow the job down a fair bit, so if he has seen the tile and the job and has given the price i suspect that he is aware of the extra time it would take to cut all the tiles.

Example, a run of 10 tiles all cut the same on a flat bed cuter could take 20 seconds, a run of the same 10 tiles on a wet-cutter could take 20 minutes, so the job isn't just doubled in cutting. Small jobs where the % of cut tiles is great, due to the lack of wall and floor tile in the middle that doesn't need cutting can increase per meter in cost. So it's not always a case of small job/small price.

The bigger the job, the more tiles between the cuts to go at, the less per meter it may have been priced with porcelain tiles.

If that makes any sense.

L

L & R CERAMICS

thats cheap is that fella ,id want at least 300 for that ,hes got to cut round the toilet dont forget ,PAY THE MAN!!!!!!!

Reply to Laying costs for porcelain tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks