Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Lash Levelling Clips - any good? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
J

jond500

Mmm,

I'm only a DIY'er but they look to me like a solution looking for a problem, they state they are not meant to be used to deal with an unlevel substrate.

Surely when you push them in you will dislodge addy and then create a void when you pull the tile up off the addy to level to the next one? I realise that they have a hole to allow addy into and then have to remove them by kicking them.. surely there is the risk of taking a chip out of the tiles with a wrongly aimed kick...

Jon.

OP
B

bugs183

There are two camps on here regarding lash clips, those who rate them and those who don't.
If you search on the the site you'll find plenty of debate and dicussions over their use and relevance to tile.
I for one rate them, but only in specific situations, such as large format, polished tiles. They will not make you a good tiler if you don't know what you're doing.....
But take a peek as this has all been said many times before.

OP
B

bugs183

Mmm,

I'm only a DIY'er but they look to me like a solution looking for a problem, they state they are not meant to be used to deal with an unlevel substrate.

Surely when you push them in you will dislodge addy and then create a void when you pull the tile up off the addy to level to the next one? I realise that they have a hole to allow addy into and then have to remove them by kicking them.. surely there is the risk of taking a chip out of the tiles with a wrongly aimed kick...

Jon.

As said above there is tons of info on these, so i'll not post after this one as i've posted lots of times before, and i can't be bothered too again!!!
If you use a correct depth of notched trowel then you can slide the clips underneath and they will not create a void. And when removing them unless you are using weak tiles then i have never seen a tile damaged during removal.
The only thing you have to watch is on big jobs where you do large runs of tile, it's worth sliding clips in as you go because they are a pig to get in once any tiles have set.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
P

prceramics

they make the job a lot harder if you have the right prep with the right trowel its not a problem to get the tiles flat

AliGage

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I tried them for the first time this week and hate them. Could not get on with them at all. But i do see where they may be useful with a large format tile. I was only laying a few metres of 300x300.

One thing i did notice and/or think about. They are smaller in thickness than 3mm aren't they? When BS Determine 3mm on floors As a minimum do these not go against that?

OP
P

prceramics

I tried them for the first time this week and hate them. Could not get on with them at all. But i do see where they may be useful with a large format tile. I was only laying a few metres of 300x300.

One thing i did notice and/or think about. They are smaller in thickness than 3mm aren't they? When BS Determine 3mm on floors As a minimum do these not go against that?
when i used them i put the 3mm spacers in as well they kept breaking when was trying to tighten them up didn't like them at all

OP
P

prceramics

the bal ones seemed a bit more useful but far to expensive to use to stay competitive

OP
B

bugs183

They are no good without spacers really, as you say all my floors are 3mm so i always space them. They don't need to be overtightened either, they let you know with a bit of practise how tight they need to be.

300x300 wouldn't go them justice. Not only would it cost a fortune in clips, it would wear your fingers out (i use the pegs serrated side down, they slip don't slip and much kinder on the fingers), it would take some cleaning off. I only use them on large format. I particularly like them for large format wall tiles, where they come out flat as a board. I can tile, and have managed without them perfectly well for years, but on some jobs they give the job an extra helping hand in the finishing looks.

OP
I

IHB

Think I'll give the ATR levellers a go buyinsterling

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
B

bugs183

Not seen those before!
You'll be wanting to use a deeper notched trowel, back buttering any porcelain tiles and certainly wait for the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to dry unlike in the vid at 0.56 seconds, you could see the tile move!!!!

OP
A

AMtek

I rate the ATR ones, mix the addy a bit looser and a slightly bigger notch and they work well. I personally think the bigest advantage of these sort of things is prevent any slump

Reply to Lash Levelling Clips - any good? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock