Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Large insurance project to quote on in the Business Advice, Tilers Van Insurance etc area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

stone tiler

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Morning chaps,
We've been asked to quote on a large insurance job by the homeowner and as we don't do much work direct for insurance companies I thought I'd check with you guys to see if there is anything I should be checking/putting in my terms prior to tendering. I don't want to get caught out on this!

The project is aprox 200mts (120 ground/80 basement) of existing 800x800 porc. Tiled onto a anhydrite screed and the tile has failed. We have to assume no prep was completed and it's an https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive//bonding issue.

The job is to remove existing floor tiles and dispose, prep floor as needed and then re-tile. Insurance contractors will take care of skirting/architrave removal and replacement and final decoration so the job sounds simple but...
- Client is still going to be living in the house on the top floor with wife and 3 kids throughout the whole process!
- Clients expensive furniture will be in the house and moved to a room on G/F for storage. Basement will be empty so can be completed in 1 hit but G/F will be room to room (4 rooms) with moving furniture about as needed
- £100k kitchen is staying in place and needs to be cut around for tile removal/replacement
- No dust is allowed in the upper living areas. None!! Not 1 bit. And suitable dust extraction needed for the working areas
- No expansion joints in the floor. None at present either
- Start/completion dates have to be given for each floor and we cannot go past it (£2k a week late fines!)

So....
- How the hell do I stop the dust from going everywhere? Industrial hoovers are good but there has to be some dust in the air. Grinding the floor laitance off is a messy job! Even if I tape all the doors shut and sheet up the stair opening to the 2nd floor, there is a chance some will get through when they come home at 5pm and want to go upstairs.
- How can I cut in tight to the fitted kitchen side panels without damage? Also make a cut under the unit's first feet to get the tile out?
- No expansion joints. So normally I'd want doorway expansion joints at the very least but the client doesn't want the "look" ruined. If no expansion joints would the insurance company say it's not up to BS and not pay me?
- Any terms or I should include in my tender to push it in my favour? Have any of you worked on insurance projects like this and half way through thought "I should have stated I wanted........... in my terms" or is there anything you think I should push back to them as their responsibility? I have already kicked back the moving of furniture and protection of electrical items. I don't want to be responsible for dust killing his £10k telly!
- Being an insurance job with all the aggro involved, how much of a premium would you be adding to the quote? 50% above normal? 100%? New car? Villa in the Algarve?
- I'm tempted to insist on a materials stage payment on day of starting works. They want full outlay by me (£25k just on tiles) with 60 days terms from date of completion. Is this acceptable?

And how long do you reckon? Mon/Sat 8-5 working hours. In my head I've allowed 2 weeks for the basement and 3 weeks for the ground floor. With all the aggro am I kidding myself?

Lots to think about. TIA. Happy Monday!!!

B

Blunt Tool

Figure out a quote all in, a very very good quote and give to customer. Tell him to put into insurance and he gets payment for all trades and materials. That way he buys tiles, gives you a deposit for all materials and only outlay you have is for labour. Tell customer to put in a figure for cleaners at end as no company can totally guarantee dust free but do your best.

L

LM

No dust is one thing, but no exspansion joints, didn't they learn from the first failure?
Not for me I say!

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
20170814_132906.png

D

Dumbo

Leave it to someone else . 25k outlay then 2 months in till payment not acceptable and by your work schedule that's 11 weeks. Doesn't how much money you load it with good chance you wont get a bean . Also i would tell them to put furiture in storage . Vanity is telling you to do this job , it's not worth it .

OP
stone tiler

stone tiler

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

Yeah to a point I agree. If I was reading this post from 1 of you lot I'd be laughing and thinking to myself "not on your life! Its screams nightmare job!! RUN AWAY!!!"

But I'm vain.......and foolish...........and greedy!!

I've emailed the client and insurance guy asking for a site meeting with both of them to explain my concerns about the scope of works and the limitations they are putting on it. It's got to be worth a couple of hours of chat to see if I can talk them round by explaining the situation. Nothing ventured...
The expansion joints to doorways are a must so that's simple. If they can advise me on a better option then I'll happily use it but if not they can have the joints. Do you guys know of any better options?
It's the dust issue that's scaring me. It's just ridiculous to expect this and it must be the client not the insurance guy cos he should know/understand what needs to be done and the mess involved. Just by getting out of the van we'll leave a trail of dust! It's just impossible with this level of works to leave the house spotless every night and not have dust in the air. The client should be put up in a rental somewhere while it's being done and the furniture in storage/moved to the top floor out the way. A spotless site clean after completion would be priced in anyway.

Yeah and I want the tiles paid for on ordering.

I think that's fair. See how it goes. Can only try can't we. If not then I'll pass thanks

Reply to Large insurance project to quote on in the Business Advice, Tilers Van Insurance etc area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock