Discuss large format tiles 800x800 in bathroom in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a question about tiling large 800x800 tiles on floor and walls in a bathroom with a walkin shower. I'm thinking it would be easier to tile the floor first and cover them with protective foil. And then cut the first row of tiles to a laser line level starting from the floor up. The lowestptoint is going to be the shower drain so the rest would need to be cut. the tiles are going to the ceiling. I'm thinking this would be easier than doing the walls first except the bottom row because of the large format of the tiles would need lots of support to stop them from sagging and there are lots of plumbing ect in the walls so screwing a ledger board would be risky and also means lots of holes to seal afterwards. any advice would be welcome. Also would it look better if the grout joints on the floor lineup with the walls or would it look better to stagger them?
any tips and advice is welcome thanks

Reaction score
I would line up the grout lines as it looks more professional.

Regarding the ledger, its whatever you find works for you. I always use a batten fixed to the wall, Ive tried it the other way and just couldn't get on with it. Im also so paranoid about dropping stuff onto a freshly tiled floor, I nearly always do the floor last. For the sake of a couple of dabs of liquid DPM it gives me peace of mind..

You can get these little tile stand things that allow you to create a ledger without fixing to the wall, but ive never tried them...

Reaction score
I would line up the grout lines as it looks more professional.

Regarding the ledger, its whatever you find works for you. I always use a batten fixed to the wall, Ive tried it the other way and just couldn't get on with it. Im also so paranoid about dropping stuff onto a freshly tiled floor, I nearly always do the floor last. For the sake of a couple of dabs of liquid DPM it gives me peace of mind..

You can get these little tile stand things that allow you to create a ledger without fixing to the wall, but ive never tried them...
Hi Angrypirate
thanks for the advice I never considered the fact that I could also damage the new floor tiles by dropping something on them. So with that in mind im going to fix the battens. And it makes sense that the grout lines line up !!
thanks for taking the time to answer

Reply to large format tiles 800x800 in bathroom in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks