Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Large floor ufh in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Teddy1

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Guys. I’m going to be pricing up a large floor on Friday. 47ms in total. My first real large job to price. I’m extremely confident with the tile side of things but the prep beforehand is what id like some advice with as ufh is in this property and I’ve never dealt with it before.

The ufh is underneath a concrete screed by the way. Should I be using something like ditra mat on this one ? Also what type of adhesives Would you recommend?

Tiles are porcelain not sure if the screed is sand and cement or anhydrite.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you

G

GoneGuy

I would ask the customer when screed was laid what depth and if s&c or anhydrate as they would have had paperwork for it.
Also check ufh has been commissioned properly and check for cracks.
Take your longest straight edge to check for dips in floor etc.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
In a nutshell:
  1. Lay screed.
  2. Wait at least 3 weeks for movement & shrinkage.
  3. Switch on heating at a rate of 5degs every 24 hours upto max operating temp.
  4. Maintain max temp for 3 days then turn off.
  5. Wait 48hours then tile (with the heating turned off).
I've only ever tiled over sand/cement. However, our friends at BAL have a decoupling mat (Flexbone) that can be laid (loose) over anhydrite.

I use the BAL adhesives now (good prices at CTD). I'm currently using BAL Flex One.

OP
T

Teddy1

TF
Reaction score
In a nutshell:
  1. Lay screed.
  2. Wait at least 3 weeks for movement & shrinkage.
  3. Switch on heating at a rate of 5degs every 24 hours upto max operating temp.
  4. Maintain max temp for 3 days then turn off.
  5. Wait 48hours then tile (with the heating turned off).
I've only ever tiled over sand/cement. However, our friends at BAL have a decoupling mat (Flexbone) that can be laid (loose) over anhydrite.

I use the BAL adhesives now (good prices at CTD). I'm currently using BAL Flex One.
Thanks mate. Some great advice there. I’ve had a look at the decoupling mat today. Am I right In thinking that if it is sand and cement I can just tile straight onto it ?

J

Just Rizzle

if there s ufh i would never tile direct onto screed.
always use a decoupling mat im on a job at present 120 mtrs on sand and cement. im using the flexbone 2 easy 3rd job with this mat and its easy to use. ctd have it on a special offer

OP
T

Teddy1

TF
Reaction score
if there s ufh i would never tile direct onto screed.
always use a decoupling mat im on a job at present 120 mtrs on sand and cement. im using the flexbone 2 easy 3rd job with this mat and its easy to use. ctd have it on a special offer
Thanks for the advice Ray. I have got the job and am starting next week. Using the flexbone 2 easy. What adhesives have you used with it ? Bal adhesives are a bit pricey !

S

Spare Tool

Did you manage to find out what the screed was and get a straight edge on it? ... I'm not knocking it as never used the flexbone but believe the floor needs to be mega flat so might need some self leveling work before hand

OP
T

Teddy1

TF
Reaction score
Did you manage to find out what the screed was and get a straight edge on it? ... I'm not knocking it as never used the flexbone but believe the floor needs to be mega flat so might need some self leveling work before hand
Yes mate. It was anhydrite and we checked it all over with a straight edge. Luckily it seems to be extremely flat and level. Been fully commissioned and is dry so hopefully all will be good with the job. Thanks for asking.

J

J Sid

If you decide to go with the bal membrane the rep will be happy to come out foc and test the floor is dry and ready to take it.

As for the extra cost in https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ over 47m2 floor, if it's an extra £100 it's a very small price to pay in the scheme of thing.

OP
T

Teddy1

TF
Reaction score
Yes mate. It was anhydrite and we checked it all over with a straight edge. Luckily it seems to be extremely flat and level. Been fully commissioned and is dry so hopefully all will be good with the job. Thanks for asking.
My only issue is the skirting board. The property is a new build and the customer is insistent we don’t remove the skirting. I’ve told him it looks far better under but he’s having none of it !
[automerge]1566979217[/automerge]
If you decide to go with the bal membrane the rep will be happy to come out foc and test the floor is dry and ready to take it.

As for the extra cost in https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ over 47m2 floor, if it's an extra £100 it's a very small price to pay in the scheme of thing.
True mate. I was thinking 10 20 kg bags would be enough ??

Last edited:
H

hmtiling

My only issue is the skirting board. The property is a new build and the customer is insistent we don’t remove the skirting. I’ve told him it looks far better under but he’s having none of it !
[automerge]1566979217[/automerge]

True mate. I was thinking 10 20 kg bags would be enough ??
Ask them if they want the perimeter expansion in front of the skirting boards or underneath

J

Just Rizzle

Thanks for the advice Ray. I have got the job and am starting next week. Using the flexbone 2 easy. What adhesives have you used with it ? Bal adhesives are a bit pricey !
im using ardex x7 standard sett at the moment it s on a special offer at C TD for 12 pound a bag inc vat good price good profit ardex uses 6 ltrs a bag lasts 5 hrs in the pot and goes a little further than other addys
the flexbone is also on special offer .
i some times play off ctd with topps for best price they try to beat each others price so more fore you:)

Reply to Large floor ufh in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock