Discuss Large area to be self levelled in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi there,

Just looking for advice on a few things, I am going to be starting a new project in a few weeks. I actually lay wooden floors not tiles but recently I have found that i am needing to do alot more of my own sub floor prep, especially for parquet floors and the sub floor prep is the same that i would expect is needed for a large tiled floor. My next job is 100m2 single room. I have to rip up existing floor, grind away bitumin mastic adhesive, dpm and then self level.

What i was asking for advice for is :

1. Best laser to mark out floor levels for such a large room 12mx 8.5m
2. Best/easiest self leveling compound to use
3. Would the spiked roller technique still be ok to use in such a large area

Thanks in advance

L

LM

Any half decent self levelling laser would be fine Set up in the centre of the room on a tripod etc and the ‘dip’ the floor with a staff or tape measure and find your highest point, then every metre set packers with silicone or screws into the floor at the same measurement as the highest point of the floor.
The key to getting a good flow with leveller is to make sure the floor is really well primed with appropriate primer so as the substrate’s suction is really reduced and doesn’t affect the flow of the leveller. A spiked roller is also essential to aid in helping the leveller find its level. A water based levelling compound will flow easier for you but make sure and use a suited primer. I can say that any of the following brands Mapei, Ardex, Uzin, Python, Rocatex to name a few all make excellent levellers. Do your pours on the ‘short’ side of the room so as the oldest section of leveller doesn’t start to set by the time you’ve caught up to it with the next run and that’ll give you a chance to have a nice smooth finish. Some of the above brands do ‘wet edge’ technology ghat helps with this. Once set a good buff with a sandpaper on a buffer and you’ll have a great floor to work on.

B

Bill

The two best flowing water based levellers I have used are Fine Flow 3000 by Tilemaster and Mapei Renovation screed.

As above re the primer as this does help regarding large areas......Oh and make sure you can have 3 or 4 mixes on the go at once as this will help with the standing time for the mixes and also for the person actually pouring and spike rolling.

H

hmtiling

Rocatex fibre flow is the best I've used. As Lee says for setting out. Uzin level pins will help with a deep pour. I'd give rocatex a call. Get all your water and mixing station ready before starting. Dollys and larges buckets or dustbins that have a flat bottom. Good luck

Reaction score
Thanks for the info so far guys.

What laser does everyone recommend for both the leveling and setting out if cost is no issue. I currently only use a single straight line laser or a chalk line for setting out.

J

J Sid

water based SLC may not be suitable for wood on top if being glued. May need to epoxy prime SLC .

H

hmtiling

Thanks for the info so far guys.

What laser does everyone recommend for both the leveling and setting out if cost is no issue. I currently only use a single straight line laser or a chalk line for setting out.
https://www.NoLinksToThis/p/dewalt-10-8v-self-levelling-cross-line-green-beam-laser/9819k
I have one of these. Excellent bits of kit

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Also depends how deep the pour is. If over 15mm then there’s easier ways of doing large areas like that and you won’t need a spiked roller.

W

Waluigi

https://www.NoLinksToThis/p/dewalt-10-8v-self-levelling-cross-line-green-beam-laser/9819k
I have one of these. Excellent bits of kit

Same as that, as per a recommendation from various people on this forum. Does exactly what it should, well.

A far crisper green line than my Bosch red laser that’s for sure.

Reply to Large area to be self levelled in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks