TileFix Direct
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Laminated Wooden Chipboard? in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

TileFix Direct

DJS

TF
Reactions
Hi Everyone, sorry not been around much. :oops: Hope you all had a merry christmas and happy new year :thumbsup:

Work has been quiete for me since before christmas (when the snow fell). Since starting up last April, I worked 8 months 6 days a week, sometimes 7, so I was pretty worn down and have enjoyed a nice 6 week break to re-charge and get ready for this years tiling season. Luckily, I was able to pick up the odd plumbing job to make ends meet...lots of burst pipes to deal with!!

So, I'm on my 2nd tiling job of the year and I have a query. As the thread title suggest, the floor to be tiled appears to be a thick chipboard (appears 20mm+, but wasn't allowed to drill a hole and find out exactly). The topside of the chipboard is covered with what appears to be a grey plastic laminate. It is definately not old adhesive from a vynil floor, and it looks to have the same imprint like the rough side of hardboard.

The property is a very new build (last 2yrs), and I have asked the customer if she can contact the developer to find out exactly what it is.

I just wondered if anyone here has come across it before, and can advise on prep or adhesive?

I wonder if just a 2pt flexible adhesive can be used for the ceramic tiles, or would you install a decoupling membrane first?

Thanks in advance as always. :thumbsup:

uHeat Official Forum Sponsor for Underfloor Heating (Electric and Wet)

DJS

TF
Reactions
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You must be logged in to see the message.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reactions

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reactions

DJS

TF
Reactions

DJS

TF
Reactions

Reply to Laminated Wooden Chipboard? in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

New Threads (Sitewide)

Mapei Tile Adhesive - Official forum sponsor
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.