Discuss Laminated Wooden Chipboard? in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

D

DJS

TF
Reactions
Hi Everyone, sorry not been around much. :oops: Hope you all had a merry christmas and happy new year :thumbsup:

Work has been quiete for me since before christmas (when the snow fell). Since starting up last April, I worked 8 months 6 days a week, sometimes 7, so I was pretty worn down and have enjoyed a nice 6 week break to re-charge and get ready for this years tiling season. Luckily, I was able to pick up the odd plumbing job to make ends meet...lots of burst pipes to deal with!!

So, I'm on my 2nd tiling job of the year and I have a query. As the thread title suggest, the floor to be tiled appears to be a thick chipboard (appears 20mm+, but wasn't allowed to drill a hole and find out exactly). The topside of the chipboard is covered with what appears to be a grey plastic laminate. It is definately not old adhesive from a vynil floor, and it looks to have the same imprint like the rough side of hardboard.

The property is a very new build (last 2yrs), and I have asked the customer if she can contact the developer to find out exactly what it is.

I just wondered if anyone here has come across it before, and can advise on prep or adhesive?

I wonder if just a 2pt flexible adhesive can be used for the ceramic tiles, or would you install a decoupling membrane first?

Thanks in advance as always. :thumbsup:

R

Rich

No tile adhesive will be suitable to go straight onto it, you will either have to over board with a cement backer board or use an uncoupling membrane. Is it solid? Check that it is screwed down and there is no movement in it.

D

DJS

TF
Reactions
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Dylante. The floor is solid w/no movement.

Given it's size (1.75 x 1.85), I'm more inclined to go with the Schluter DITRA, but what adhesive would be used to stick that down?

That's where I'm confused. Doesn't the schluter website say use a 1pt flexible, but that isn't suitable for wooden floors let alone a laminated one??

D

DJS

TF
Reactions
Thanks Dave, I took a guess that that is what it was for, I just didn't know what it was!! Never seen it before.

I suppose now I have to decide which overlayment and which adhesive to stick it down. I've got 3 bathroom floors and a kitchen splashback on this job, so given the scale of it, I think it will be quicker to go with DITRA instead of cement boards in the 2 upstairs bathrooms.

So, with that decision made I think the info I need is on the schluter website, I've been on there before and I'm sure it says 1pt flexi. Will go take another look and double check it.

Thank you for your knowledgable guidance as always.

EDIT : Found the answer on schluter website. Cheers

Last edited:
kilty55

kilty55

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reactions
hi,ditra is not a substitute for cement boards,i would lay a cement board

D

DJS

TF
Reactions
Hi Kilty, someone's confused and I'm not sure who...lol

I'm talking about laying the DITRA onto the waterproofed chipboard with a latex modified adhesive, and sticking the tiles to it with an unmodified adhesive, as per the schluter website. Not laying cement board and then using DITRA????

Sorry, it's late and I'm going to bed now. Will catch up tomorrow.

kilty55

kilty55

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reactions
hi djs,no ones confused,my route would be over board with a cement board, i wouldnt lay ditra on top just a cement board mate

N

nybor62

TF
Supporter
Reactions
as kilty says , weyroc is used because alot of buildings are exposed to the eliments before the roof goes on , it protects against water and moisture

D

DJS

TF
Reactions
hi djs,no ones confused,my route would be over board with a cement board, i wouldnt lay ditra on top just a cement board mate
Cheers for expaining Kilty. It was me who was confused. :oops:

If you think that cement boards would be superior to DITRA, then I would be happy to go with that, even if it takes longer. My natural curiousity is making me ask why though? I can only assume it's because of the additional mechanical fixing??

So just to confirm, 6mm cement boards stuck down with 2pt latex modified addy, and screwed at 200mm centre's?

Cheers

D

DJS

TF
Reactions
Thanks for the explanation nybor. Now I have a name for it I have something to search on and do more reasearch.

There are a few threads already here about it, but when people are saying glue and screw the boards, I still haven't found exactly which 'glue' it should be, but I'll keep searching and reading for now.

Reply to Laminated Wooden Chipboard? in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

New Threads (Sitewide)

Top Bottom

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.