Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Kitchen tiling: Doing corners with patterned tiles (square) in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

W

Waluigi

Please checkout the following advertisement.
........and of course line up with the centre of the Hob too!

I’m not suggesting for one second that not wrapping is the way to go or indeed that wrapping is the way to go. I’m simply suggesting that it’s not a black and white argument. Sometimes you need to have an open mind. If you don’t then you become a Dinosaur.

B

Blunt Tool

E0973D93-97A9-4691-B62B-0D88F03C7098.jpeg
........and of course line up with the centre of the Hob too!

I’m not suggesting for one second that not wrapping is the way to go or indeed that wrapping is the way to go. I’m simply suggesting that it’s not a black and white argument. Sometimes you need to have an open mind. If you don’t then you become a Dinosaur.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
To many tilers doing there repetitive Victorian floors and not knowing the true meaning of the word 'random'....:rolleyes:

T

Time's Ran Out

FD199145-1764-4FBF-8B40-25C8A5F1DCA1.png @Andy Allen - I know exactly what random means and those are not ‘random’ - without forethought or attention .
But that’s not the issue - those corners defy logic - to turn out work like that is akin to DIY.

Over 4-5 tiles on a splash back your customers can hide it as with the bottle of wine. But show us your fully tiled bathroom walls with this careless setting out.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
View attachment 104833 @Andy Allen - I know exactly what random means and those are not ‘random’ - without forethought or attention .
But that’s not the issue - those corners defy logic - to turn out work like that is akin to DIY.

Over 4-5 tiles on a splash back your customers can hide it as with the bottle of wine. But show us your fully tiled bathroom walls with this careless setting out.

So how would you set it out then John?

4 inch tiles, that wall being the main focal point as it’s part of the range cooker over mantle.
The cuts you see are over half a tile, the other tiles are full tiles as the mantle was built to accommodate them and the grout joints.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
View attachment 104833 @Andy Allen - I know exactly what random means and those are not ‘random’ - without forethought or attention .

Sorry john, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on this.
And as there is no ' god of tile ' hand book, stating exactly how this should be done, then it's all just your opinion.

And opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one ! :)

And my opinion is, I don't like it wrapped round, I prefer to see it random, on this particular tile.

T

Time's Ran Out

@Andy Allen - I haven’t and I won’t ‘disagree ‘ with any of your posts as it all about doing it correct and a Tiler should know this. The others aren’t worth the effort.
I’d be embarrassed to show those corners and it’s typical of a pretender to our trade to believe that it’s the correct way of doing it and advising a DIYer to copy it as an acceptable way to set out a project.
I’am still waiting for 1 of you 4 who repeatedly disagree to show your method in a full bathroom setting.
You say it’s not a written rule. I doubt if any of you have done a tile apprenticeship in which case you’d all know how to set out a room.
If you read the OP opening post he’s telling you the correct way because that’s what he believes should happen - then you get these ‘tilers’ pictures showing him DIY blunders! It’s a pattern tile - you follow the pattern round the corner - no wonder our trade fights to gain credibility.

Q

Qwerty

I quite like the random look, it suits the tile after all. I personally would probably match it. Is it wrong?...no. Would I do it that way in a customer's house?...quite possibly yes depending on the customers wishes. I've been asked to do far far worse!
Just showed Mrs Plan Tec and she prefers the random look. Just showed the cat and he started licking himself.
Horses for courses I say!

B

Blunt Tool

I quite like the random look, it suits the tile after all. I personally would probably match it. Is it wrong?...no. Would I do it that way in a customer's house?...quite possibly yes depending on the customers wishes. I've been asked to do far far worse!
Just showed Mrs Plan Tec and she prefers the random look. Just showed the cat and he started licking himself.
Horses for courses I say!
Cats probably a plumber tho :rolleyes:

W

Waluigi

For what it’s worth, I value the opinions of everyone on the forum, no matter how many posts they have on the forum, badges they have under their name or which trade they started their career in.

Everyone has something to bring to the table, even Calla......everyone ;)

Reply to Kitchen tiling: Doing corners with patterned tiles (square) in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock