Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Kitchen splashback metro tiles -is it a bad job? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

rose32

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi! Could I get some advice on my tile? It's just been done last week by a tiler by trade but my builder who does everything says that he could have done a neater job and that he's surprised by the level of finish and pointed out some clumsy areas.

I'm now worried that my tiler did a bad job and can't 'unsee' all the bits that seem unprofessional, it stands out and want to get the whole thing re-done! A lot of the tiles don't feel even when you run your hands across them, and even and the grout looks really heavy.

I should have chosen a lighter grout but I didn't expect grey to come out so dark, as the light grey I chose for the floors was virtually white! The fact the grout is dark I feel shows even more all the mistakes. Particularly on the corners and on the trim. He didn't even silicone along the bottom, around the worktop. Unfortunately I have already paid my tiler but even so, I would like to ask someone else to come and take it all off and start from the beginning. Is this going to be really messy and a lot of work?

Feeling stressed and could do with any outside opinions!!!

My Mum thinks it would be insane to re-do it and thinks it's too much dust and dirt. But I'm worried I'll just really hate it and regret not changing it.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-01-11 at 20.28.43.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-11 at 20.28.43.jpeg
    411.4 KB · Views: 102
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-01-11 at 20.27.11.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-11 at 20.27.11.jpeg
    284.1 KB · Views: 94
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-01-11 at 20.26.08.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-11 at 20.26.08.jpeg
    348.5 KB · Views: 94
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-01-11 at 20.26.31.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-11 at 20.26.31.jpeg
    306.8 KB · Views: 97
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-01-11 at 20.26.38.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-11 at 20.26.38.jpeg
    304.8 KB · Views: 92
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-01-11 at 20.27.45 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-11 at 20.27.45 (1).jpeg
    332.4 KB · Views: 88
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-01-10 at 21.51.56.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-10 at 21.51.56.jpeg
    164.5 KB · Views: 94

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi.
There some bits that could have been done neater and the dark grout emphasises those parts and the grouting could have been neater. It’s not the worst I’ve seen by a long way.
If you were happy enough to pay your tiler , why would the builder then come in and pull the job apart ? . If you are getting it re-done then use the builder if he thinks he can do better.

Reaction score
Id agree with the other comments
Bevelled subway tiles are always a problem around external trims. At some point there will be lipping
Dark grout makes it look worse.
Silicone on internals will help if fitted neatly

Reaction score
I agree with most comments here. Dark grout is always going to show up any uneven areas. The spacing/positioning has been poor. Wher ethere is thick dark grout if you get sharp paint scraper (Stanley blade type) you can take the grout down to a thinner profile yourself which may improve the look. I think the worst thing to have been done is the tile trim should have been fixed in with white grout to make it look neater.

Reaction score
Also, in pics 2&3, it looks as though the 'tiler' has initially lined up with the wall rather than the tiles on the adjacent wall and has had to stick a thin tile in to cover the gap... or perhaps that is edging? Not sure tbh.

Reaction score
As mentioned, that external trim is rough. He also could of cleaned it up a lot better. Bevels catch a lot of people out when it comes to grouting. I’ve certainly seen a lot worse. Was he a tiler or “multi trade”?

Reaction score
We’ll, I’d agree with a lot of the comments as well. Look, if, as a tiler, you know you’re going to use black or grey grout you have to be very accurate with your levels, gaps, corners and edges or it will look worse than it would with white grout, which we all know can hide small issues.
I also think brick style bevelled metro tiles are a difficult compromise at internal and external edges. The customer needs to know all this prior to starting so there’s no surprise at the end. You can attempt to reduce the overthink thick grout lines, it may help.
It’s not the worse job in the world but as usual the conversations should have been had at the start and during the job, not at the end where they end up on forums like this.

Reply to Kitchen splashback metro tiles -is it a bad job? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock