Discuss Killing stickiness left after lifting vinyl tiles in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

G

gobby

After vinyl floor tiles tediously lifted the floor is left very sticky. Want to kill it off. Will water based SLC cover and stick to this or what are the alternatives. Electrics and kitchen fitting to follow so don't want everything stuck to floor before tiling it. Thanks. It's not bitumen.

E

enduro

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I used some of this the other day, you can get it from www.moellerstonecare.co.uk
R50 Paint and Varnish Remover
R50 is a ready to use special cleaner that removes layers of hardened wax, varnish and lacquers as well as dried-in oils, adhesive residue (inc. carpet adhesive), paint and graffiti from all polished or unpolished natural and man-made stone, ceramic and porcelain surfaces.

G

gobby

Thanks Enduro, reads as very powerful stuff. I was rather hoping I could skim over it with slc to kill it as quicker and easier to get hold of. I haven't seen the sticky floor in question, customer lifting tiles and removing a kitchen prior to me going in to do the refit so was hoping someone had done this without a problem.

E

enduro

You could use Mapei latexplan.

D

DHTiling

You need to look at it first..

G

gobby

Yes Dave, seeing the job tomorrow night to try sort the floor before starting proper on Tuesday. Have some water based SLC already hence hoping it'll do it. Have you any other suggestions depending on what I find, can't be that many adhesives thay stay sticky after lifting, it's not tackifier though as apparently difficult to lift the tiles. I can't get the remover in time for tomorrow but might be able to get some mixable SLC somewhere local if I try. Thanks, Mark.

D

DHTiling

Have a look first MArk.. it might be some sort of contact adhesive or even bitumen.. both can be removed and both have different effects on some adhering to them.

G

gobby

Just spoke with the owner, said it's a yellowish colour, thick some places and thin in others, had no joy trying to scrape it off, mega sticky. I agree I need to see it but trying to be prepared. Anything readily available to stip ie Wickes, Build Center etc, maybe white spirit? Its not bitumen by the sound of it, usually is and that never causes a problem! I suppose worst case if if SLC lifts, I can at least get the kitchen in and fitted, spark can do wiring which is the main issue as peoples time is booked. I could scrape it back/off afterwards!

D

DHTiling

The use of a heat gun,, soften it up and remove, then slurry coat and slc if needed..

G

gobby

thanks, give hat gun and scrapper a bash, slurry as in SBR mix or a runny tile adhesive?

D

DHTiling

SBR mixed with flexi adhesive 50/50

Reply to Killing stickiness left after lifting vinyl tiles in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

New Threads (Sitewide)

Top Bottom

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.