Discuss Karndean Flooring Removed, Now Which Adhesive Is Best? (please!) in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

E

EnCam

Hi there,

Before I start, i am a DIYer!

As the title suggests, I've just removed the Karndean flooring in my kitchen, and then scraped (as much as possible) the glue adhesive sticking the Karndean down to the screed below.

The floor is now smooth, but i'm wondering what the best adhesive to use to lay my 600x600 porcelains and if my glue removal is sufficient to crack on with the tiling?!?

Any advice appreciated!

Many thanks....

T

Time's Ran Out

Plenty of threads on here providing advice on adhesive but for me it's weber, tile master , or Ardex .

S

SJPurdy

I think EnCam needs to know if the adhesives will bond to the old Karndean adhesive residues and if a/what primer is required.
Anyone know?

I

Italy

already it has done more than once.
if the old adhesive. It is securely fastened.
I never put primer.
if you want more security, also set primer

E

EnCam

Hi all,

Thanks for all the responses! SJ, spot on - I've scraped the screed/self-levelling as much as I possibly can, but still worried some glue residue remains. Obviously (as everyone does) I want to lay the tiles without risk of them lifting, so wanted to understand what the best adhesive is (and primer) for this scenario!

I mailed Mapei, who suggested using Mapei Keraquick S1 incorporating Mapei Latex Plus additive.

I think i'll apply a primer for peace of mind before laying the tiles - last stupid question - is a flexi adhesive more appropriate than a standard cementious adhesive? My kitchen is ground floor and is a concrete sub floor.

Many thanks again!

E

ExplodingPudding

Definitely prime it using an acrylic based primer and not PVA. Keraquick is a rapid flexible adhesive anyway so the answer is yes on the on the flexi question.

O

Old Mod

Just a cautionary note on Keraquick and latex plus, especially as a Diy'er!
It turns your s1 into an s2 class adhesive (very sticky and flexible) and sets faster than Hussain Bolt runs on a slow day!
Mix in small batches (correct ratios) until you become accostoumed to it.
NOT knowing anything about the adhesive used to fix Karndean, my instinct would be to apply Mapei's Eco prime plus ( ready mixed slurry coat) as a primer. I say Mapei's product because you're using their adhesive.
Maybe someone else with experience of this adhesive could advise further.

E

EnCam

Thanks to all for the advice - especially the small batch advice - Usain Bolt :laughing:!
I haven't bought the Mapei stuff yet, I was just seeing what a manufacturer would advise...I'll probably go with it though, nobody seems to have said anything negative about it...

Cheers all!

S

SJPurdy

Mapei are good adhesives and you can download their data sheets from the www.
the consensus of opinions here is that a good primer is probably required over the old Karndean adhesive residues, but like me no one is really 100% sure as they haven't tested it (and they don't have it in writing from any manufacturer). It is probably worth another call to Mapei as you are going to use their products and ask about the Eco prime over Karndean adhesive residues (It does say Eco Prim T is particularly suitable as a bonding promoter on old adhesive residues for resilient and textile floors; in an old brochure that I have). I would also question them as to why they are recommending the latex plus additive - to me it seems a bit of overkill as the Keraquick without it should bond to both the Eco primer and the porcelain tiles; and the floor is solid screed (not eg.wood).

E

EnCam

Hi all,
Thanks again. I applied two coats of KA-Bond SBR from Wickes followed by the keraquick adhesive.

The tiles are down solidly and all is good, well, some are down - small batch advice was spot on, especially on what was probably the hottest day of the year.

Thanks for all of the advice!

Reply to Karndean Flooring Removed, Now Which Adhesive Is Best? (please!) in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks