Discuss Just Another Guy looking for Wetroom Advice in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

LG007

Hello guys, I'm looking for some advice regarding a Wetroom I'm planning, I'm out my depth with the amount of options available and just looking for some friendly guidance.

The house is pretty old and I'm going back to scratch to start the install. I've taken out the uneven floorboards and replaced with 22m P5 chipboard. I'm installing the new shower and moving the plumbing, I need to settle on the tanking system / method. Firstly the ensuite is pretty small so I'm restricted with the tray I can purchase - I think I can only realistically fit something 800 x 1000. Secondly the install will be to the corner of a room, one wall which is plaster on brickwork, the other a plasterboard cavity wall. What would be the best solution regarding the two different walls?

And would it be best to install a tanking system like Tilemaster or to use backer boards and tape?

Obviously I don't want to scrimp on the products but equally don't want to spend cash on something that is not necessary if equal products are available.

I'd be looking for a tiler to complete the job, in Middlesbrough so not sure if there's anyone who would be available or anyone can recommend?

Cheers

F

Flintstone

Hello, it's good to see that you have come on here to ask for advice early and forward planning! If you want a quality product that will last and do what you are looking for then schluter do some nice wet room kits at the moment with everything you need to prepare the wet area, tray included. But, the crucial part of its success is who fits it, or any other sysyem. Not sure if any of the regulars are in your area or not, try the tilers directory on here.

Reaction score
I don’t think I have worked in a house in Middlesbrough where I thought that is good quality tiling. That’s why I done mine myself.
(I live in Middlesbrough too)
John..

L

LG007

Thanks for the responses!

After research I'm planning on installing the KERDI boards as the tanking system, seems to get really good reviews here - the ensuite is only 2 x 1.5 so relatively small. The Mrs has chosen the tiles that are 600 x 300 porcelain tiles which I've worked out at around 25 kg/per m2.

So I'm wondering what thickness is best to use? Reading up it seems to suggest 10mm onto skimmed walls fixing with dot and dab and mechanical fixings after whereas the 5mm boards can be fixed onto studs, the KERDI boards come in 9 & 12.5 - would 9mm be OK to fix with tile adhesive? I've got 3 skimmed masonry walls and one stud wall to tank. :)

This forum has been so helpful, an amazing amount of information so cheers!!

W

Waluigi

From my view point, I’d go 12.5 on a plastered wall but you will need the mechanical fixings.

Regarding a stud wall, it depends on the distances between your studwork. For example if your studs are 600mm apart then you need to use the 19mm board.

I’m pretty sure that 12.5 would be fine with 400mm centre studs. I’m just guessing though.

A lot of the XPS boards require 300mm studs but Kerdi board is slightly different

L

LG007

Thanks again lads, 12.5mm boards it is then - with the mechanical fixings.

In terms of adhesive to fit the boards & tiles do you have any particular preference or just any cement based adhesive? I've seen a few people mention Tilemaster and there's a local stockist near me so was going to go for something from there, most of it is rapid setting though and I've read that it's best to go for something a bit more forgiving...

Also do I need to prime the painted plaster before starting?

Wish me luck, I'll let you know how I get on :handok::handok::handok:

Reaction score

After research I'm planning on installing the KERDI boards as the tanking system, seems to get really good reviews here - the ensuite is only 2 x 1.5 so relatively small. The Mrs has chosen the tiles that are 600 x 300 porcelain tiles which I've worked out at around 25 kg/per m2.

So I'm wondering what thickness is best to use? Reading up it seems to suggest 10mm onto skimmed walls fixing with dot and dab and mechanical fixings after whereas the 5mm boards can be fixed onto studs, the KERDI boards come in 9 & 12.5 - would 9mm be OK to fix with tile adhesive? I've got 3 skimmed masonry walls and one stud wall to tank. :)

A 5mm board won't be suitable onto studs, the best thing to do is give the office a call on 01530 813396 or email [email protected] as there are a few questions that the technical department would like to ask to determine the best solution for your project, this will be much quicker and we can offer project specific advice along with guiding you to the nearest stockist.

O

Old Mod

Also do I need to prime the painted plaster before starting?

No, unfortunately you must remove the paint by at least 80%, preferably 100%.
And that doesn’t mean you should leave the 20% in one corner. :p

In terms of adhesive to fit the boards & tiles do you have any particular preference or just any cement based adhesive? I've seen a few people mention Tilemaster and there's a local stockist near me so was going to go for something from there, most of it is rapid setting though and I've read that it's best to go for something a bit more forgiving...

You must used a bagged powder adhesive in a tanked wet area, tubbed adhesive would never properly dry, they’re known as dispersion adhesives, which means they air dry. A waterproof substrate and porcelain tile would never allow this.
Bagged adhesives cure by way of a chemical reaction.
And definitely use a standard set adhesive, with a rapid you’ll throw away more than you use. Very few pro fixers will use a rapid adhesive on walls.
If your local store supplies Tilemaster, then Setaflex standard set is a good choice.

T

Time's Ran Out

F1167F1E-ADE3-4777-9BD3-FA916283BB05.jpeg 207D1830-AB79-4D79-A715-E2B938CAD49A.jpeg
I don’t think I have worked in a house in Middlesbrough where I thought that is good quality tiling. That’s why I done mine myself.
(I live in Middlesbrough too)
John..

I’ve done work in Middlesbrough!

Reaction score

Don’t bother going into CTD to try to get the Kerdi boards, order them online.

John..

L

LG007

Hello guys, taking the paint off is a nightmare - slowly slowly - roped my Dad in now ha

Just another newbie question, the Impey Waterguard system - if I were to use this would I need to install some cement / plasterboard to the painted plaster walls (soon to be non painted) before I tiled or could I just install and tile to it?

Seems quite a bit cheaper than the KERDI boards but if I used it I'm worried that the weight of the tiles would be too much. The data sheet says 30kg/m2 against plasterboard & cement board substrates.

:smiley:
Cheers

L

LG007

So I'm looking for some advice on the last part of the puzzle (I hope)! I'm struggling to understand how to maintain the heights between the former and the rest of the room - when installing the UFH, and how to maintain the height to the next room.

I have replaced the old floorboards with 22mm P5 chipboard, this sits flush with the next rooms flooring. With the use of KERDI boards on the walls in it seems logical to use a Schluter tray, my question is then how do I maintain a flush floor level throughout the room and the next?

The Schluter-KERDI-SHOWER-TB is 22mm which seems to be the lowest and only match to the floorboards + Tiles 9.5mm = FFL 31.5mm I assume these trays cannot be underboarded as I can't seem to find much info on this whereas Impey etc. all suggest the under boarding be done.

The rest of the room would then be 22mm floorboard, 7.5mm UFH, 9.5mm tiles = 39mm.

So too much of a difference and a 20mm step into the next room.

Would it be best to install noggins to the joists and underboard the whole room therefore giving an extra 22mm in height?

Please go easy on me?! I can help anyone with any cracking business spreadsheets you might need!
Cheers

Reply to Just Another Guy looking for Wetroom Advice in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks