Discuss Join between quarry tiles and wood-faced laminate? in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

P

p4ulo

Been asked to go and look at a job, basically, they've pulled out an old fireplace, kept the "hole" and plastered it and painted it, fitted a laminate floor and left the concrete hearth area exposed, now wanting it tiling with old quarry tiles, direct onto the concrete.
Not been to see it yet, just trying to get my head around products.
If the height of the finished quarry tiles is the same as the laminate, what would you "whack" around the transition join to fill the gap, allowing for the floating wood floor to expand.
I think when I've done it before I've used sealant but are there any other options.
Could do with something cheap 'cos its a job for a friend.

Cheers.

Dave

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
2,159 1
You will need approx 10mm expansion , you could use a preformed wooden finishing trim to suit the timber floor , making sure the rebate allows for expansion...

P

p4ulo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like that stuff @Plan Tec Tiling would you fix with no more nails to edge of wooden flooring, and not at the other end to allow for expansion? Rebate is the size of the lip on either side right? I guess I'll need 15-20mm to cover the expansion gap??? Plus, pricey!!
Or.....does it snap into an aluminium profile you fix to the sub-floor?

Q

Qwerty

No, that one is fixed mate. I use a flexible grab adhesive

P

p4ulo

The other option I have it to build up the level of the concrete floor, and tile on-top of it with 10mm of tile protruding over the top of the laminate all around....would this be acceptable (I was concerned it would just make the edge of the tiles vulnerable to breakage?!)

Reply to Join between quarry tiles and wood-faced laminate? in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

New Threads (Sitewide)

Top Bottom

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.