Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss It’s New tools tuesdays in the Tiling Tools - Tile Tools area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
C

Concrete guy

Please checkout the following advertisement.
For tile holesaws, you still can't really beat the electroplated bits. Cost per hole and convenience they just beat most of the alternatives.

It's only when you need to consistently drill harder or thicker product that other bits may become more appropriate.

These dry VB bits were never designed for porcelain, they are designed for sedimentary stone, but someone decided to start marketing them for porcelain.

Cranbrook

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
For tile holesaws, you still can't really beat the electroplated bits. Cost per hole and convenience they just beat most of the alternatives.

It's only when you need to consistently drill harder or thicker product that other bits may become more appropriate.

These dry VB bits were never designed for porcelain, they are designed for sedimentary stone, but someone decided to start marketing them for porcelain.
Is this the same for the polishing /grinding discs you sell? I.e. That electroplated are better for porcelain ?

Cranbrook

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Im new to the polishing game but im putting an order in with you imminently so im going to order a polishing disc.. I mainly work with porcelain so if you could direct me on what I should get to have a play around with...

OP
C

Concrete guy

Im new to the polishing game but im putting an order in with you imminently so im going to order a polishing disc.. I mainly work with porcelain so if you could direct me on what I should get to have a play around with...

I'll run through some of the more common applications in tile:-

Electroplated diamond hand pads #50 to #400 grit. These are ideal for tidying up edges and envelope cuts on individual tiles. You wouldn't want to be doing much quantity with these, they are a handy tool to have in the kit.

Silicon Carbide discs:- The reality is you can polish pretty much anything with these, they are probably the most appropriate product for a tiler that does a bit of polishing every now and again.

The very low grits #40,#60,#80 you're grinding. #120-#320 is honing. #400 upwards is varying degrees of polish. #1200 is very fine, often used in glazing to polish glass.

Silicon carbide grits do not relate to diamond grits. Diamond pads generally range from #30 to #6000 whereas the same range is covered in SiC discs in #40 to #1200. (#1200 SiC is about #6000 diamond).

The main advantage of diamond pads (the round one you use on a polisher) is longevity, they last far longer so are more economical when doing lots of polishing, particularly wet polishing.

Dry diamond pads are simply less messy (more dust, less water) cost more than wet pads, generally don't last as long but easier to use on site. You don't have to dress like a fishmonger to use them.

Any specific questions just ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
W

Waluigi

Be good if you add some feedback on them when you've used them, with images too please.
Started staying clear of the M14 bits, they don’t seem to be cutting clean enough unless you buy high end pieces.
I’ve moved back too the cheapest vacuum braised bits cos they’re leaving cleaner cuts

As I said before, you’re absolutely right about these holes not being as clean as the cheaper water cooled bits. That’s fine for me though as very few cuts I produce are ever on display. I still have a load of the cheaper bits if they are on display but for now, the vacuum brazed bits cut through dry in 20 seconds for each hole in Porcelain.

You can see the chipping though.

E00882E0-4ECF-4ECB-BB10-CA07495ED62F.jpeg

A6783471-7495-4AFD-9081-74B5639255BB.jpeg

OP
I

Italy

As I said before, you’re absolutely right about these holes not being as clean as the cheaper water cooled bits. That’s fine for me though as very few cuts I produce are ever on display. I still have a load of the cheaper bits if they are on display but for now, the vacuum brazed bits cut through dry in 20 seconds for each hole in Porcelain.

View attachment 100516
View attachment 100517
what bit are you using?

OP
D

Dumbo

View attachment 100516
View attachment 100517
You need one those hole dressing stones like @antonio has got . In fact I need one to

Reply to It’s New tools tuesdays in the Tiling Tools - Tile Tools area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock