Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss is tiling the most difficult of all the trades in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
plastering is much harder than tile, but tile is more therapeutic and satisfying, but also no where near as hard on the body as plastering .
Plumbing and electrics and extremely boring and I would rather stack shelves than be a plumber or leccy

F

Flintstone

He's got one of them big trowels I was on about and he's not scared to get a big spread down

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It depends on what aspect of tile you do most, but some are harder than most other trades, plastering is hard on the body, especially ceilings, but it's a skill that is only repatition to get a decent finish, small ceramic tiles aren't to hard on the body and relativly low skilled most of the the time, but doing large commercial or domestic floors at speed are very hard on the body, and it takes alot of skill to get them right working at speed, same as larger tiles in smaller rooms, a bathroom in 900x 900 12mm or bigger porcelain will give you a work out and requires alot of skill to get it all right as these rooms tend to be high end and have alot of niches, and other features plus pipework etc and cuts on show, the technical aspect has overtaken most trades now and only getting more need and expansive, the popularity of mitres etc has added more to the skill set, and stone work takes the pyshical, technical and skill to higher levels. But the long and short of it is, the higher end of any trade is hard as the detail needs to be perfect tile as it is now is a in a new place and is only getting harder, still don't know if I'd say hardest in any one area but in an all-round mix of skill, technical knowledge and psychical effort it's up there now

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I would say a true carpenter or iron mongers perhaps are the hardest...? Though the wood and metals available these days wouldn't be a patch on what you could have got back in the day.

Massive Iron gates get resold on for centuries. Driveways are widened for them rather than trimming them down to fit. Church doors are usually reclaimed for more than the price of my house.

Both dying trades and I guess very very hard as a result.

Reply to is tiling the most difficult of all the trades in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock