Discuss Is this fine or a bad job? in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Our builder has just finished grouting our bathroom renovation and we’ve started to notice some issues. Is this us being picky or is it actually a bad job?
We’ve noticed a lot of uneven tiles, some bad grout work and chips in the cuts of tiles.
If it is a bad job is there anyway of fixing it without starting again?
70FDC2B5-B49E-46DD-BC50-789ACE8E3F97.jpeg
87C879BE-E47E-4D28-B8EC-0CAF5432D016.jpeg
D9A74DF6-DCF2-465D-A053-4E6EE2F35179.jpeg
119C9527-57D0-4DA9-9AC4-07C8BEB06AFC.jpeg
5929CABC-66DF-4F69-A990-95D1ACFA0D2F.jpeg
8FBFC885-7A1F-4EF2-8065-93DD50F40882.jpeg
AB88A5BE-1C08-4A13-A921-9DACECE1F86F.jpeg
8C598BEF-7200-49B9-8EA8-A88DCFA6F5DE.jpeg
45EA4051-D9B3-4999-9F2A-F074D0C3F0BE.jpeg

991021C3-0939-41B5-8BBC-94D7A8267494.jpeg

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
There is issues with slight chipping to edges that should have been addressed prior to fixing by taking the arriss off the edge. The biggest issue/mistake i see is the wetroom tray lay out. You envelope from the four corners of the drain out to the tray edge corners , you do not split them again across the tray as done there. Looks hideous.
on the wall tiling , there is adhesive showing through the grout and the white tiles , the grouting isn’t satisfactory. So yes you have reasonable cause for concern.

Reaction score
Sorry --- That looks awful to me.

If I had a job done that was that bad I'd go mad!!!!

1. Adhesive and grout have just been left on the surface of the tiles, it's not been cleaned off properly.
2. Tiles have clearly not been laid level, looks on the floor of your shower that there's a sharp edge of one tile clearly raised higher than the neighbouring tiles.
3. You expect some level of chipping to tiles when you cut them, but that looks prety excessive to me, his blade must be pretty blunt -- and thats before you would soften the edges, which clearly hasn't been done.
4. Loads of poor cuts, too many cut too short or long -- either he was drunk or his tape measure is that rusty and worn out he can't read it properly.
5. Those tiles "shaped to fit" the door frame are a joke; that looks like a 5-10mm gap on your last photo!!!
6. Where's the rest of the grout!?!?!? Is he coming back to finish the grout!?

hk940

Arms
Reaction score
That is why you don't let builders install your tile.
I have been in the tile business for over 50 years and have seen some **** jobs done by those who have have uttered the words " I use to do tile". Apparently not good enough to make a living at it!
The home I now live in (W NC USA) was renovated about 6-7 years ago by the previous owners. A quite a lot of work was done to the home, New roof, heat pump,enlarged deck and converted sun room.
New kitchen cabinets backsplash tile (glass) two baths tiled and the entire main floor tiled, no wood anywhere.
I have since ripped out the glass back splash tile, and the Corian counter tops and replaced them with quartz counter tops and a light grey 3"x6" tile.
On to my latest project, about two weeks ago my termite guy came to do the yearly inspection, and when he came up from the crawl space he told me I had a leak from the master bath as there was water in the crawl space.
Over all the job looked good as far as the joints were uniform and grouted properly. My wife was happy at the prospect of new tile as she did not really like what was there.
I started the rip out a few days ago and found the cause of the leak when the builder installed the PVC pan liner when he came to the threshold he just cut it and folded it over the curb. There was no liner going up the walls at each end of the curb!.
He also did not do any water proofing on the bench seat, or the recess, I think he was also trying to conserve on screws as some backer boards only had a screw at each edge (three feet apart) some were 1 1/4" and some were 1 5/8". None of the joints of the backer were taped or filled with thin set. One other thing, he used a 1/8" v notch trowel and most of the tile came off the backer with nothing sticking on them!
I will get some pictures and post them, later on today

Reply to Is this fine or a bad job? in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
alangk85
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks