Discuss Is this an acceptable edge cut? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
We are currently having our bathroom renovated, and I am becoming increasingly unhappy with the finish of the grout and the tile cuts. The installer, who claims to be a professional tiler, says that is the best finish that can be achieved on a cutout, as it needs to be done with an angle grinder. I find this hard to believe, and would your opinions please.
The tiles are good quality ceramic tiles.
Is this an acceptable finish and should I expect this to be rectified?

Thanks in advance for your feedback :eek:)

IMG_4064.JPG IMG_4065.JPG

wayne

TF
Reaction score
Id be just as concerned as the tiles in the reveal not fitting in the trim flush or is it an optical illusion. You can get a better finish on the cuts but some tiles just chip like that when wet cut or dry cut.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Poor cut with a well worn segmented blade. A continuous rim blade and a quick finish with a diamond pad should be sufficient.

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback
Wayne - yes indeed, the tiles are not entirely flush. This is true of many areas of the bathroom. I've been told by my "tiler" that this is normal.
Here is a clearer photo of that corner, and another example of non-flush tiles.
IMG_4067.JPG
IMG_4068.JPG
Unfortunately the tap surround here does not adhere to the tiles behind properly, as they are not flush.
And some more examples below..
Short of expecting it to all be ripped out and redone, what would be a fair recourse for this? I don't want to be unfair, but I also don't expect to pay full balance if this is not an appropriate finish?
IMG_4069.JPG IMG_4071.JPG IMG_4072.JPG IMG_4073.JPG

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback
Wayne - yes indeed, the tiles are not entirely flush. This is true of many areas of the bathroom. I've been told by my "tiler" that this is normal.
Here is a clearer photo of that corner, and another example of non-flush tiles.
View attachment 92130
View attachment 92131
Unfortunately the tap surround here does not adhere to the tiles behind properly, as they are not flush.
And some more examples below..
Short of expecting it to all be ripped out and redone, what would be a fair recourse for this? I don't want to be unfair, but I also don't expect to pay full balance if this is not an appropriate finish?
View attachment 92132 View attachment 92134 View attachment 92135 View attachment 92136
Sorry he
We are currently having our bathroom renovated, and I am becoming increasingly unhappy with the finish of the grout and the tile cuts. The installer, who claims to be a professional tiler, says that is the best finish that can be achieved on a cutout, as it needs to be done with an angle grinder. I find this hard to believe, and would your opinions please.
The tiles are good quality ceramic tiles.
Is this an acceptable finish and should I expect this to be rectified?

Thanks in advance for your feedback :eek:)

View attachment 92125 View attachment 92126
He is no tiler leaving cuts like that

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi James Bond,

That standard of finish, no way is that exceptiable from a professional tiler, in my book. Ask him to rectify it.

M

Matt Bott

i would like to mention your asking some of the best tilers in the uk on appropriate finish, they didn't qoute, so there finish will be different along with there price. I would not be happy with this finish no one would. If you would like the best finish possible there's tilers on here that can do it for sure so you could have a look for a trusted advisor near you.
As far as lippage at the tap possibly could remove the tile and sit a new one in, its hard to gauge without inspecting to see if it's one tile high or low. The window cuts should be redone properly but can your tiler do that and if he can why not in the first place because they can be a lot better than that.
If you could have a look at some of his other work to see what it's like that should give you an idea of what you have paid for (maybe) I hope you get everything sorted like others on here will agree it's upsetting to see this workmanship.

Reaction score
Matt - That is a good point. I guess it really depends whether the price paid for the tiling matches the finish.
This room is 1.6mx1.6m, tiled floor and all the way to the ceiling, and we are being billed £**** for it. Reasonable?

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GoneGuy

It is clearly bad workmanship and he has no pride in his work, if he won't/can't rectify all the issues you have raised I would get another tiler ( look on this forum for nearest tiler to you as you will be getting expert advice and workmanship)to give you a quote on price to rectify it and deduct that off the bill.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
That's about 15m of wall and 2.5m of floor. So about 17.5 m square. ( not allowing for door, window and bath)
I'm presuming he is providing the adhesive and grout? Depending on where you are, that seems a lot.

I

Italy

Matt - That is a good point. I guess it really depends whether the price paid for the tiling matches the finish.
This room is 1.6mx1.6m, tiled floor and all the way to the ceiling, and we are being billed £1200 for it. Reasonable?
It is forbidden to discuss prices, in a trend open to the public.
Edit thanks

Reply to Is this an acceptable edge cut? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks