Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Is this acceptable work? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi All,

Just moving back in after a bathroom renovation. The tiler has started the grouting though I am not happy with some areas of the work and would appreciate some feedback.

The large tiles corners don't line up, some of the tiles have different thickness grouting. On the image with the shower valve the tiles is raised at one end and the grouting disappears 2/3rds of the way down in the corner.

I assume it won't be an easy fix?

Thanks

Chris

IMG-20191020-WA0014.jpeg IMG-20191020-WA0012.jpeg IMG-20191020-WA0010.jpeg IMG-20191020-WA0008.jpeg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

It's okay in some sense. If you're pulling tiles off in the shower area, you're going to affect the tanking. (I assume it HAS had tanking applied somehow? - You need it in shower areas, tiles alone don't 'waterproof' a shower, tanking systems do, either paint-on or other type)

But you could do with getting the tiles how you want them longterm right now. Well before now really but now is better than later when you don't have the same grout mixed up etc. Keep the batch the same.

The grout seems to be sinking. I don't suppose you know what method of fixing has been used? Is it dabs of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ in the corners, or a full trowel over the wall and tiles bedded in properly? - They need 100% coverage in shower areas, not 'dot and dab' method where only the corners are fixed. Tiles crack, https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ wont be strong enough, water ingress is guaranteed, grout sinks (and kind of becomes the only thing holding them on in the end) amongst other things.

I'd like to know a bit more about the tile I think. Don't suppose you could politely ask the tiler somehow without offending him? At least at this stage. There may be genuine reasons for sinking grout and dodgy tile around the shower fixings etc for all we know.

OP
chm6cfb
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

It's okay in some sense. If you're pulling tiles off in the shower area, you're going to affect the tanking. (I assume it HAS had tanking applied somehow? - You need it in shower areas, tiles alone don't 'waterproof' a shower, tanking systems do, either paint-on or other type)

But you could do with getting the tiles how you want them longterm right now. Well before now really but now is better than later when you don't have the same grout mixed up etc. Keep the batch the same.

The grout seems to be sinking. I don't suppose you know what method of fixing has been used? Is it dabs of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ in the corners, or a full trowel over the wall and tiles bedded in properly? - They need 100% coverage in shower areas, not 'dot and dab' method where only the corners are fixed. Tiles crack, https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ wont be strong enough, water ingress is guaranteed, grout sinks (and kind of becomes the only thing holding them on in the end) amongst other things.

I'd like to know a bit more about the tile I think. Don't suppose you could politely ask the tiler somehow without offending him? At least at this stage. There may be genuine reasons for sinking grout and dodgy tile around the shower fixings etc for all we know.

Hi Dan

Thanks for the welcome and the reply.

Wedi board was fixed to create a smooth surface and sealed to provide tanking.

I am 99% sure the application was full trowel though will ask carefully when he comes back.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Ahhh that's all good then. :)

I'm not sure how he's not managed to the get the tiles flush then with such a smooth surface to tile to! Or why the grout has sunk if there's such a full bed of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ behind them.

Might have just mixed the grout too fluid. Or washed off too soon/too much.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
It looks like the grout has been washed off too early before set up and as for the minimal lippage , it could be warped tiles with a tight joint or simply simply not fixed flush enough to adjoining tiles.
Air your concerns with your tiler.

Reply to Is this acceptable work? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock