Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Is this a bad tiling job or not? in the General Chat Forum | Tilers Talk area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
C

ChrisC

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello, could you please explain how the patchwork of tiles has a negative impact to the underfloor heating installation(just so i understand completely) ? Do you mean regarding the heat distribution? The way I understand he did it is, level the floor with screed, then he placed insulation boards on top of the leveled floor, then on top of that the underfloor heating mat with the cables, on top of that screed to just about cover the cables, and on top of that tiles.
Could the double tile result to more pressure been applied on the cables and in effect higher probability of a cable getting damaged ?

Also, could someone suggest please what it would cost to redo this work?

D

Dumbo

If he levelled the floor properly he wouldn't need to pack it up with tiles . It's just a pigs ear and you havent got proper contact between the substrate ( in this case floor ) and the tiles and therefor you do get poor heat transfer.
As regards cost , it will cost whatever it cost you to get it done in the first place plus probably another 25 to50 percent to get a proper tiler plus a days money to get the old stuff up .

OP
C

ChrisC

TF
Reaction score
I personally didn't know what the best option would be, I asked him to do the best job he could do and let me know if he thinks something should be done differently in order to achieve the best result. If he had advised to take the skirting off yes sure I would have gone for that.

Reaction score
I personally didn't know what the best option would be, I asked him to do the best job he could do and let me know if he thinks something should be done differently in order to achieve the best result. If he had advised to take the skirting off yes sure I would have gone for that.
Saves loads of cuts and means u don’t have those gaps

Reaction score
I would imagine if you gave any decent tiler the option of having the skirting removed they would jump at it, am I right in thinking that theee are multiple rooms all tiled throughout, this would be near in impossible to set out without cuts and as walls are never true u would always have diffrent cuts at each side at least with skirting off u wouldn’t have silly wee cuts , I’m a fan of the old box skirting as this gives (approx) 35mm cover all round , but even with your skirting still plenty of cove 12 mm mdf ripped to hieght with top mould feature fixed to 2x1 rails top and bottom , prepaint mdf and mould , always great finish

Last edited:
W

Waluigi

It’s a far better job IMO.

I tend to remove the skirting and replace after tile but leave a small gap under the skirting so that when it’s painted you can slide newspaper under it.

Reaction score
It’s a far better job IMO.

I tend to remove the skirting and replace after tile but leave a small gap under the skirting so that when it’s painted you can slide newspaper under it.
Skirting should be prepainted and therefore only touch ups at corners , nailgun will busy brads if set to correct depth , like u said it also allows for movement due to underfloor heating and expansion

W

Waluigi

Depends on the paint. I’d prefer my painting to be done in one hit, not patched in over every nail hole and bit of filling. It would be primed beforehand though.

Reply to Is this a bad tiling job or not? in the General Chat Forum | Tilers Talk area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock