Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Is there an Alternative to The Tile Association (TTA)? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
A couple of options perhaps, but they tend to come back to TTA.

I

Italy

EUF
European Union of associations of strata, whose main purpose is to foster dialogue and communication in the ceramics supply chain at European level, in collaboration with the 12 national member associations.
TTA I think he is a member of euf

OP
Dan

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah. I'm just wondering if we have another association.

And whether the british standards actually name TTA as who you have to be with or else your tile isn't to standard?!

Am I getting this right?

You HAVE to be with "an association like TTA" or else your tile isn't to standard anymore?

Does is name TTA @Paul C. in the BS books now?

"tile should be carried out by a skilled operative, who has been trained to a level of competence, certified by a recognised authoritative body, such as the TTA"
Source URL: BS 5385 Part 1: 2018 - Tiling Standards - https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/bs-5385-part-1-2018-tiling-standards.89734/

So they're certifying tile now? Do we have to notify them of every job that gets done now too? Like the electrical and gas industries?

Seems a bit far fetched for tile.

PMSL

I

Italy

here it is not mandatory to be associated.
nothing requires being a member of a assoposa
however they are trying to go in that direction,

OP
Dan

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah. I'm just wondering if we have another association.

And whether the british standards actually name TTA as who you have to be with or else your tile isn't to standard?!

Am I getting this right?

You HAVE to be with "an association like TTA" or else your tile isn't to standard anymore?

Does is name TTA @Paul C. in the BS books now?

"tile should be carried out by a skilled operative, who has been trained to a level of competence, certified by a recognised authoritative body, such as the TTA"
Source URL: BS 5385 Part 1: 2018 - Tiling Standards - https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/bs-5385-part-1-2018-tiling-standards.89734/

So they're certifying tile now? Do we have to notify them of every job that gets done now too? Like the electrical and gas industries?

Seems a bit far fetched for tile.

PMSL
Trimline have quoted it as the first major change in their press release. And have literally said "Certified by an association such as The Tile Association". Yet they don't certify jobs. So surely it doesn't say that in the literature.

Should have some clarification from TTA?

J

J Sid

Are you saying Dan that if your not a TTA member you don't have follow BS? Or if your not a TTA member you can't fix tiles now?

OP
Dan

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure.

So I'm reading it, it's quoted everywhere, here is Able Skills quoting it too.

Trimline I originally quoted it. So it's a press release by TTA perhaps. And they've stuck it in maybe?

Or it's fact. And it's in the actual standards maybe.

But the way I'm reading it, is, your tile is certified by TTA. Or it isn't, and it's not proper tile now.

So if you're not with TTA, your tile will always lose in court when somebody questions it?

My own thinking has caused loads more questions. lol

Last edited:
T

Tile Shop

Someone did question this on Tilezine. Peter C....... :smirk: can't comment if he was telling the whole truth or not, but got the answer he was searching for. Take a look at his point and the response he got. In fairness to the TTA, whether a tiler is a member or not, they know and appreciate good workmanship and a good tiler when they see one. They just wanna see better work from people by whatever means and put a stop to dodgy work being turned out. As @timeless john has said on many occasions, it gives the trade a bad name, whether you're a good tiler or not. Can't really blame them. Got to admit we see and hear about some real shockers.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dumbo

I'm not sure.

So I'm reading it, it's quoted everywhere, here is Able Skills quoting it too: Changes to British Tiling Standards - https://www.ableskills.co.uk/blog/changes-british-tiling-standards/

Trimline I originally quoted it. So it's a press release by TTA perhaps. And they've stuck it in maybe?

Or it's fact. And it's in the actual standards maybe.

But the way I'm reading it, is, your tile is certified by TTA. Or it isn't, and it's not proper tile now.

So if you're not with TTA, your tile will always lose in court when somebody questions it?

My own thinking has caused loads more questions. lol
I would think city in guilds and nvq's have some relevance

OP
Dan

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I would think city in guilds and nvq's have some relevance
I know some tilers in the TTA directory who's dad is good but he's not. And it's his name now there.

Qualified tiler is should say. Not TTA member.

Qualified all the way. Association who doesn't vet the tiler? Nope not for me.

Reaction score
It’ll come to all trades eventually. It started many moons ago with Gas, then moved onto electrics with the introduction of Part P of the Building Regs and the sudden emergence of the associated governing bodies (NICEIC, NAPIT etc) they have tried to bring it in for Plumbing but failed yet a few Manufacturers have stated that such and such item isn’t covered by a warranty unless it was installed by a City and Guilds/NVQ Qualified Plumber which is absurd when you’re talking about a Tap. I can’t see it making it’s way into the mainstream for tile for a very long time. It’s a money making scheme, nothing more.

O

One Day

The Americans have it right. Two separate bodies - one for the industry and one for the fixers.
Ours is completely flawed and will never work because it's trying to be an industry body and only paying lip service to fixers.

OP
Dan

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree.

We're open now to the americans. I'm working on sparky SEO at the moment so haven't quite done here but we have spakry regulars from America posting every day.

I'll come over here for that once I know what's working. etc

But that'll get some heads over here. Show us how limited we are.

You need at least two associations for it to work. Gas Safe Register doesn't work right really. NICEIC and ELECSA have flaws but you have options in the electrical field so that it causes competition.

TTA have now done that, it HAS to cause another to setup. One for the fixers.

Any chatter about this on Facebook?

I think we know the few main heads who need to run it. I'd back it from a website point of view (a new one, have it locked down in Google. Even wipe the floor with TTA rankings for their own terms).

We need a discussion forum making for just those who can make it work.

Rate I make one and we get some heads in here?

OP
Dan

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you saying Dan that if your not a TTA member you don't have follow BS? Or if your not a TTA member you can't fix tiles now?
If you're not a TTA Member, your tile isn't to British Standards spec. Is what is reads like. I'm trying to get clarification from TTA themselves. I've sent them an email. I'll do some testing tomorrow.

Reply to Is there an Alternative to The Tile Association (TTA)? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock