Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Is there an Alternative to The Tile Association (TTA)? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

I

Italy

Please checkout the following advertisement.
there would also be a problem ... (or not)
from what I've read in recent years here,
uk does not have many tile and https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ manufacturers.
An example: if you use Italian tiles or adhesives,
these are based on the rules of the country of manufacture.
This is why all associations, when making rules, must agree.
ps. I noticed that the last bs rules were very close
to Italian standards

OP
Dan

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it the tiler that’s needs certifying or the work done? Is it not the tiler who needs to meet a level of training / competence from an authoritative body? Like city and guilds / nvq etc.

With electrics. Plumbing. Gas. Certified refers to an approved contractor for building regs. Wras. Gas regs. 18th edition etc

There are no building regs / statutory tile standards. Only bs which is where the issue is
Nobody seems to be clear. TTA want it so that all tilers are registered with them. I think that's why they're quiet about it and just released that Press Release to scare people.

But now we're seeing tilers being taken to court, and TTA doing a report on the tile, and of course the tiler wasn't a TTA member, so the report went in favour of the customer.

We don't know the full ins and outs. The tiler sounds like he was actually a plumber and gave the tile a go. So they're probably bang on in that case with their report.

But they themselves don't go out to do the report, they get a TTA tiler to do it I think.

So it's all a bit cliquey to me. I thought they got rid of Lesley Reid or whatever her name was BECAUSE it was too cliquey.

But they've just fell right back into it again. The committee is just people who are making money out of tilers. So they need an actual tiler on or two on it. Needs be 50% tilers even IMO.

It wont change though until they've pushed the tiler away enough that somebody actually does start an association for the tilers. And let them be what they are, an association for the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ companies and some random shops.

Less tilers are in their directory this year than there was last year. People aren't renewing.

You can count every month how many tilers they have extra or lose. I've been speaking to a few on the phone who have quit. They got no work from it, saw it as a cost, and kinda got blagged into buying it in the first place.

They aren't there for the tiler anymore. Well, never were.

NTFA was the tilers one back in t'day. :D

Glynn

TF
Reaction score
BS5385 are just basic guide lines. Don't get hung up about them being the only way that you can be a good tiler is if you follow them. I travel the length and breadth of Britain and see work done by second and third generation tilers that is absolutely outstanding and they are self taught or worked with their dads and granddads who taught them. You know if you are doing a good job or not and so do your customers. Question: Who generates most of your work, TTA or your reputations? I would like to know how many Joe public contact the TTA and ask them to recommend a "Qualified Tiler" compared to how many ask their local tile shop to recommend a "good tiller". Bet the shop wins.

D

Dumbo

I doubt I have a job a year from the tta .
As regards bs and tanking when somebody comes on here with a bathroom you hear the cries of it should of been tanked . Now tanking is good practice but because a shower hasn't been tanked doesn't suggest the job shouldn't be signed of ,for lack of a better expression by the customer , i called builing control the other day and asked if they wouldn't sign a new build off , if he wet area hadnt been tanked. I knee what the answer would be and i was right , the long and short of it is , it's not even building regs .
So it's good practice but it not the only way .

OP
Dan

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt I have a job a year from the tta .
As regards bs and tanking when somebody comes on here with a bathroom you hear the cries of it should of been tanked . Now tanking is good practice but because a shower hasn't been tanked doesn't suggest the job shouldn't be signed of ,for lack of a better expression by the customer , i called builing control the other day and asked if they wouldn't sign a new build off , if he wet area hadnt been tanked. I knee what the answer would be and i was right , the long and short of it is , it's not even building regs .
So it's good practice but it not the only way .
Good point actually mate. And well done for asking them!

Perhaps nothing we need to worry about then this TTA/British Standards lark.

Reply to Is there an Alternative to The Tile Association (TTA)? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock