Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Is an anti-crack membrane necessary on old concrete. in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

CGD

DIY Tiler
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I was wondering what the opinion is of this forum regarding laying porcelain tiles on an old concrete floor. The floor is 28 square meters being laid with porcelain tiles on a concrete floor that was poured 20 years ago, the house is a new build that was never completed. From what I’ve seen the issue with concrete is it moving/cracking over time as it settles and fully cures, given the fact that this concrete floor is now 20 years old and never been covered I’m under the impression that this is no longer an issue.

There will be no screed on top of the floor or underfloor heating, is an anti crack membrane necessary and will the concrete need sealing?

Regards.

Reaction score
I was wondering what the opinion is of this forum regarding laying porcelain tiles on an old concrete floor. The floor is 28 square meters being laid with porcelain tiles on a concrete floor that was poured 20 years ago, the house is a new build that was never completed. From what I’ve seen the issue with concrete is it moving/cracking over time as it settles and fully cures, given the fact that this concrete floor is now 20 years old and never been covered I’m under the impression that this is no longer an issue.

There will be no screed on top of the floor or underfloor heating, is an anti crack membrane necessary and will the concrete need sealing?

Regards.
You shouldn't need an anti crack matting by the sounds of it - but it's just belt and braces if ever in doubt.

Always use a primer. Whichever https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ you use will also manufacture a proprietary bonding agent, probably an sbr primer, that will need to be used to validate any warranties they offer.

OP
C

CGD

DIY Tiler
Reaction score
You shouldn't need an anti crack matting by the sounds of it - but it's just belt and braces if ever in doubt.

Always use a primer. Whichever https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ you use will also manufacture a proprietary bonding agent, probably an sbr primer, that will need to be used to validate any warranties they offer.
Thanks for the advice 👍

Reply to Is an anti-crack membrane necessary on old concrete. in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock