Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Is a gap needed between shower tray and wall tiles? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Oddbod

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I'm sorry to be asking more questions, but I'm quite worried about my current tiler's work.

After further inspecting his progress I note that the wall tiles are installed hard down onto the shower tray most of the way around the tray.

Shouldn't there be at least a 2 mm gap between the tray and the tiles, both for expansion and to insert a primary silicone seal into the gap before finishing with a final cosmetic seal over the top?

That's the way I've done it myself in the past, but I'm not a professional and the tiler currently working on my house has a different idea, as you can see from the photos attached.

I'd welcome any input on this, particularly any thoughts as to whether the tile in this case will be acceptable, as I really don't want to have to pull them off and start over.

Thanks again everybody for your valued guidance.

ShowerTray1.jpg

ShowerTray2.jpg

D

Deleted member 43753

I think what you have is acceptable from the photo and there is no need for changing the tiles if expansion is your concern between the tiles and shower tray. What does your current tiler say about this?

OP
O

Oddbod

-
Reaction score
I think what you have is acceptable from the photo and there is no need for changing the tiles if expansion is your concern between the tiles and shower tray. What does your current tiler say about this?
Thanks Cris for your thoughts. The tiler just said that's the way plumbers on site have always told him to do it, basically to save them time, as I understood it.

D

Dave d rave

I disagree, I think there should be a gap under the tile. If there is any movement whatsoever on the shower tray then this could cause the bottom row of tiles to move and you could find after 6 months the grout will all start to discolour and need to be changed. I’d always leave a few mm and I tell all tilers on site this.

Kevbos

Arms
Reaction score
I'm sorry to be asking more questions, but I'm quite worried about my current tiler's work.

After further inspecting his progress I note that the wall tiles are installed hard down onto the shower tray most of the way around the tray.

Shouldn't there be at least a 2 mm gap between the tray and the tiles, both for expansion and to insert a primary silicone seal into the gap before finishing with a final cosmetic seal over the top?

That's the way I've done it myself in the past, but I'm not a professional and the tiler currently working on my house has a different idea, as you can see from the photos attached.

I'd welcome any input on this, particularly any thoughts as to whether the tile in this case will be acceptable, as I really don't want to have to pull them off and start over.

Thanks again everybody for your valued guidance.

View attachment 123178

View attachment 123179
I'd be quite happy really as the cut to the left of shower tray , is quite awesome really !! You only really need to worry if your tray is moving !! Not being funny but if you wanted a specific gap that you have used before , then I'm sure if you had communicated with the tiler , he or she would have happily replicated your wishes !!

Reply to Is a gap needed between shower tray and wall tiles? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock