Discuss Insurance repairs - advice please in the Business Advice, Tilers Van Insurance etc area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Tim2018

Hi,
Advice required please...

I had a porcelain tile to kitchen, dining and utility area. A boiler leak meant tiles started lifting and the drying company requested utility area tiles to be removed to aid drying of the screed. Replacement tiles could not found so the whole area has now been stripped and ripped up.
The floors are all heated. The kitchen and utility area is a calcium sulphate screed and the dining area is suspended timber with a ply skin.

The contractor has laid a Ditra mat on the ply floor. They have primed the calcium screed and then laid a latex levelling compound on top. After tiling of the replacement porcelain tiles was started I complained as the tiles were not anywhere near level. They have now been ripped up and more latex levelling compound has been poured in. I guess they found it too difficult to remove the recently laid adhesive so are filling around it.

My questions :- is this method of preparation acceptable? Will my UFH efficiency be affected?

I have added some photos.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

612757B1-C559-4AF6-A010-542F06B85CAE.jpeg 232E66E0-AA36-4401-A882-035E182D84C9.jpeg 83BBD920-F51F-4E02-8750-7A15085AE9E3.jpeg 9106B09D-B1E6-4F5E-80E2-8A2A50F3C7CF.jpeg

D

Dumbo

The secret to a good instalation , well actually its no secret is good preparation and that prep looks shocking . As above that is not ditra it is dural ci matting which is a similar product but usually cheaper to buy .

L

LM

Is that coat of leveller the first of two as I wouldn’t be happy for them to lay tile on that as a finished surface, it’s terrible.

T

Tim2018

Appreciate the comments. Everything is now being ripped up including the matting. Hardiebacker is going down to replace the matting. Is this a good choice? Is it suitable for UFH which sits underneath the ply floor?

Reply to Insurance repairs - advice please in the Business Advice, Tilers Van Insurance etc area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks