Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Installing electric underfloor heating - Step by Step Guide in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Just thought I knock up a thread with step by step pictures of an electric underfloor heating installation.

Bare concrete floor (primed), 9 square metres. 100mm thick so was left 3 months to dry before I even thought about starting the job.
UFH fit 001.jpg

6mm insulation boards staggered and stuck to the substrate using a single part, flexible cement based https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/. 1st picture, work in progress.
UFH fit 002.jpg

2nd picture, insulating complete. This particular brand says to butt joint the insulation boards so no need to leave expansion gaps between boards (check the manufacturers instructions).
UFH fit 003.jpg

(Check the mat is working and not damaged before this stage commences). Roll the mat out but do not stick it down until you are sure you have evenly covered the area and you are happy with the positioning. (This floor is 9m2 so the mat purchased is 8m2, remember the mat CAN NOT be shortened). To make turns in the mat cut the mesh but be VERY careful not to cut the wire, in the image below you can see where I have opened the mat up in places to get an even distribution. When you are happy with the positioning of the mat stick it down (this one has double sided tape on the underside). It is also worth mentioning at this point that when you roll the mat out make sure the power cable is closest to where the thermostat is going to be positioned.
UFH fit 004.jpg

In the same corner/part of the room you will now need to put the thermostat probe into the floor. This one is 200mm into the room (minimum for this manufacturer is 150mm. Check before fitting for different brands) and is placed in a conduit for protection. Make sure the probe DOES NOT go underneath any of the wires, this could cause the mat to malfunction or burn out and fail.
UFH fit 005.jpg

It is also worth mentioning that regular checks should be done throughout the fit to ensure the heating cable is still working and has not been damaged at any point. This mat came with a 'watchdog' that the power cable is connected to, and sounds an alarm if there is a break in the circuit from damage. Next stage cover the mat in flexible https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ (same as the one used to fix the insulation boards), again be careful not to damage the mat, and stick down any bits of cable or mesh that are protruding. This stage could be skipped but I find it useful for sticking down any awkward bits of cable or mesh that won't lay flat.
UFH fit 006.jpg

Final stage (apart from electrical installation) is to put a flexible self levelling compound over the whole area.
UFH fit 007.jpg

When this has been given time to cure (48 hrs is ample) the electrical connection can be made and thermostat connected (by a qualified electrician) and the floor can be commissioned. This must be done before any tile commences and the UFH must be switched off 24 hrs prior to the floor covering being laid.

Always read the instructions supplied with the product as there will be variation from each manufacturer.
I hope this is of use to somone and I hope I haven't left anything out! I'm sure someone will let me know if I have :thumbsup:

UFH fit 001.jpg UFH fit 002.jpg UFH fit 003.jpg UFH fit 004.jpg UFH fit 005.jpg UFH fit 006.jpg UFH fit 007.jpg

andy8758

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi Bri. Never got around to reading this before. Excellent post. Love the idea of rsfa used to stop floating cable.

dboden

TF
Reaction score
Bri, been reading your excellent post, got my first ufh in a couple of weeks. What did you use to put down the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ onto mat.. Back of trowel?
and did you mix it a bit more sloppy so its easier to spread?

OP
I

Ian

Bri, been reading your excellent post, got my first ufh in a couple of weeks. What did you use to put down the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ onto mat.. Back of trowel?
and did you mix it a bit more sloppy so its easier to spread?
I use a an old grout float to apply the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/, safer for the cables. And I mix it a bit thicker than I would for tile, it holds the cable down better and stops it popping up.

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I also keep a couple of cans of spray glue in my van........great for the odd bit they will not behave and lay flat.

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Some makes are worse than others for edges/corners sticking up.......cable or mat. Make sure they are well stuck down before you self level. As soon as you start pouring the self level, it's too late then if they do want to float.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Just bumping some threads in the underfloor heating forum. You can now find and search for both electric underfloor heating and water underfloor heating threads. By the way, if you feel some of the threads you want to be seen at the top of the forum need to be bumped back, for the next month or so from now, feel free to do that. Although it's not usually something we allow, whilst we're going through this process of changing over forum software, we see the need for this to happen.

DTCB

TF
Reaction score
Just thought I knock up a thread with step by step pictures of an electric underfloor heating installation.

Bare concrete floor (primed), 9 square metres. 100mm thick so was left 3 months to dry before I even thought about starting the job.
View attachment 26122

6mm insulation boards staggered and stuck to the substrate using a single part, flexible cement based https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/. 1st picture, work in progress.
View attachment 26123

2nd picture, insulating complete. This particular brand says to butt joint the insulation boards so no need to leave expansion gaps between boards (check the manufacturers instructions).
View attachment 26124

(Check the mat is working and not damaged before this stage commences). Roll the mat out but do not stick it down until you are sure you have evenly covered the area and you are happy with the positioning. (This floor is 9m2 so the mat purchased is 8m2, remember the mat CAN NOT be shortened). To make turns in the mat cut the mesh but be VERY careful not to cut the wire, in the image below you can see where I have opened the mat up in places to get an even distribution. When you are happy with the positioning of the mat stick it down (this one has double sided tape on the underside). It is also worth mentioning at this point that when you roll the mat out make sure the power cable is closest to where the thermostat is going to be positioned.
View attachment 26125

In the same corner/part of the room you will now need to put the thermostat probe into the floor. This one is 200mm into the room (minimum for this manufacturer is 150mm. Check before fitting for different brands) and is placed in a conduit for protection. Make sure the probe DOES NOT go underneath any of the wires, this could cause the mat to malfunction or burn out and fail.
View attachment 26126

It is also worth mentioning that regular checks should be done throughout the fit to ensure the heating cable is still working and has not been damaged at any point. This mat came with a 'watchdog' that the power cable is connected to, and sounds an alarm if there is a break in the circuit from damage. Next stage cover the mat in flexible https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ (same as the one used to fix the insulation boards), again be careful not to damage the mat, and stick down any bits of cable or mesh that are protruding. This stage could be skipped but I find it useful for sticking down any awkward bits of cable or mesh that won't lay flat.
View attachment 26127

Final stage (apart from electrical installation) is to put a flexible self levelling compound over the whole area.
View attachment 26128

When this has been given time to cure (48 hrs is ample) the electrical connection can be made and thermostat connected (by a qualified electrician) and the floor can be commissioned. This must be done before any tile commences and the UFH must be switched off 24 hrs prior to the floor covering being laid.

Always read the instructions supplied with the product as there will be variation from each manufacturer.
I hope this is of use to somone and I hope I haven't left anything out! I'm sure someone will let me know if I have :thumbsup:

View attachment 26122 View attachment 26123 View attachment 26124 View attachment 26125 View attachment 26126 View attachment 26127 View attachment 26128

DTCB

TF
Reaction score
Hi
What primer do you recommend and supplier? I was always advised to leave a gap of approx 20 mil around the edges - am I wrong? Has anyone any experience of tile on an upstairs lime-ash floor and would you use any product on the surface prior to insulating and laying UFH?

Appreciate your thoughts DTCB

OP
D

dean mckeown

Great post. I am creating a wetroom and the only thing I am struggling with is as what point would you Tank the area. Do you tank the levelling solution or do you Tank the subfloor?

Reply to Installing electric underfloor heating - Step by Step Guide in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock