Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Install Underfloor Heat in Only Half of Open Plan Area? in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I will be getting a new build house that has an open kitchen and dining area. The total area is 30sqm. I will spend most of the time in the dining area and I'm wondering if I can just get underfloor heating in the dining area?

Would the warmth in the open plan from the dining area reach the kitchen?
Would the warmth of the tiles from that side help warm the kitchen tiles?

I would like to get the kitchen done as well but the developer are charging alot more to get underfloor heating installed in the kitchen area.

Uheat - Jake

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forums,

The UFH wouldn't be able to fully heat the kitchen if it was just installed within the dining room. However you'd be able to feel a bit of the heat.
If you was to install electric into both rooms then something to consider would be seperate thermostats for each zone.

D

Dumbo

Fom
I will be getting a new build house that has an open kitchen and dining area. The total area is 30sqm. I will spend most of the time in the dining area and I'm wondering if I can just get underfloor heating in the dining area?

Would the warmth in the open plan from the dining area reach the kitchen?
Would the warmth of the tiles from that side help warm the kitchen tiles?

I would like to get the kitchen done as well but the developer are charging alot more to get underfloor heating installed in the kitchen area.
Is it a primary source of heat or secondary. Ie do you have radiators As well.

OP
U
Reaction score
Is it a primary source of heat or secondary. Ie do you have radiators As well.
There will be radiators as well in the open plan kitchen and dining room. The underfloor heating is so our feet don't get cold on the tiles in the winter. But on days where the underfloor heating is enough warmth, then we don't need to turn the central heating on since that would make the room too hot.

Last edited:

Uheat - Jake

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
Its an open plan, would it need 2 thermostats still?

Why we suggest that is in the kitchen you have appliances which can generate heat and effect the temperature. So if you want a desired temperature of 21 degrees in both rooms but you have an oven on which may generate some heat you're actually achieving a lower temperature in the dining room than you want.

It'd be the same with putting the thermostat in the dining room, however you'd have your desired temperature in the dining room but maybe 2 degrees higher in the kitchen due to the appliances.

S

Spare Tool

You'll also have the situation of one side of the room being higher than the other by around 15mm, so you'll either have to slope a tile down or build up the level..might as well just do the whole thing imo

O

One Day

Do the whole room and zone it as you want.
Heat will not transfer across to the unheated tiles, instead you will feel a huge contrast from one area to another.
You will definitely regret only installing on one half.

W

WetSaw

I can't see the extra cost being that much in the scheme of things if you're having a house built. Far cheaper and easier to do it now than retro fit later.

OP
U
Reaction score
I'll get the underfloor heating for kitchen as well, thanks for the inputs.

Can anyone advise if its a fair quote by the developer which works out to £180/m2 for underfloor heating + porcelain tiles in the dining area? I've checked and the porcelain tiles they will be using are selling online for £40/m2.

For underfloor heating (procelain tiles are free from the purchase of the house) in the kitchen, it works out they are charging £150/m2.

Last edited:

Reply to Install Underfloor Heat in Only Half of Open Plan Area? in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock