Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Install 18mm ply between joists in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Davido

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I would like to Tile my hallway and need to minimise the impact this will have on the finished floor level, to provide a smooth transition to an adjoining room. Do you think it would be acceptable for me to do the following: -

Remove and discard the existing floorboards.

Fix 70mm X 20mm lining to the sides of each joist, 18mm from the top.

Fix 18mm wb ply between the joists

Overlay with 10mm backer board.

Lay 9mm thick porcelain tiles with thin set flexible https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to the backer board.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

D

Dumbo

Personally I think there is to much potential for movement as your floor has too many joints in it .

O

Old Mod

Personally I think there is to much potential for movement as your floor has too many joints in it .

Nothing to do with post Jerry, just an admin question.
Did you reply to this when you first read the post at 12.20?
Cheers mate.

D

Dumbo

Don't get hung up on floor heights , it has to be built to last, you may not be but you are probably fixing next to carpets . Decent quality carpet is thicker than you think. Floor level raise will be negligible.

OP
D

Davido

TF
Reaction score
Don't get hung up on floor heights , it has to be built to last, you may not be but you are probably fixing next to carpets . Decent quality carpet is thicker than you think. Floor level raise will be negligible.
I am hoping to have stained and polishes floorboards in the adjoining room, so it would probably be better to scrap the tile idea and go for stained floorboards in the entrance hall as well. I was hoping to use porcelain tiles in the hall for durability and the easy removal of muddy paw marks.

D

Dumbo

In my option for what it is worth . If you sand and stain your existing floorboards which are probably pine and gappy and not in the best condition after spending all that money they will probably not look great , I would consider overlaying with engineered oak flooring that will look great

OP
D

Davido

TF
Reaction score
In my option for what it is worth . If you sand and stain your existing floorboards which are probably pine and gappy and not in the best condition after spending all that money they will probably not look great , I would consider overlaying with engineered oak flooring that will look great
Great idea. I will look into it. Do you have any specific recommendations or reference website I can go to to investigate engineered oak flooring further?

D

Dumbo

No but would prefer not to use someone like b and w , wickes floors to go etc try a local builders merchant I got mine from a local saw mill they didn't make it they just got it in .

OP
D

Davido

TF
Reaction score
No but would prefer not to use someone like b and w , wickes floors to go etc try a local builders merchant I got mine from a local saw mill they didn't make it they just got it in .
That's great. many thanks. I will have a word with a builders merchant.

Reply to Install 18mm ply between joists in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock