Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Initial Tiling Lay Out Downstairs Opinion in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

J

JonR

Please checkout the following advertisement.
As some of you may have seen, from a previous thread, at the moment I am in the process of tile my downstairs. I have been using some CAD software to look at potential setting out ideas. Coming up with an idea that satisfies a few criteria, however I may be going about it all wrong.

At the moment I have centralised the tile in the hallway, so that when you open the front door it looks even. I have also centralised the grout line going into the kitchen off to the left so that you aren't standing on two grout lines every time you walk into the room.

However I was wondering if people had any better ideas on how to lay out the floor space to be more aesthetically pleasing?

Thanks

Jon

Floor Plan.jpg

OP
B

Bill

are you allowing for the kicker boards under the kitchen units being further back than the vertical door line or the worktop line you have on your drawing?

OP
O

Old Mod

It's difficult to make informed decisions without dimensions Jon.
We'd need to now tile size, hallway width and length.
Kitchen floor space dimensions and living space dimensions.
And doorway widths.
You may have already set it out in a way that is more aesthetically pleasing for you.
If you feel the tile should span the main door and you don't want to step on two grout lines as u walk in the kitchen, then u've already answered your own question.
Set out is so very subjective, and it's you that has to see it everyday, we don't.
It's our aim to give you what you want, not what we think you want.
Have you considered running the tiles in profile to the main door?

OP
J

JonR

are you allowing for the kicker boards under the kitchen units being further back than the vertical door line or the worktop line you have on your drawing?

Hi Tom, Yes, with the tile plan shown in the kitchen, this is allowing for the tiles to reach under where the kick boards are about 2 inches.

It's difficult to make informed decisions without dimensions Jon.
We'd need to now tile size, hallway width and length.
Kitchen floor space dimensions and living space dimensions.
And doorway widths.
You may have already set it out in a way that is more aesthetically pleasing for you.
If you feel the tile should span the main door and you don't want to step on two grout lines as u walk in the kitchen, then u've already answered your own question.
Set out is so very subjective, and it's you that has to see it everyday, we don't.
It's our aim to give you what you want, not what we think you want.
Have you considered running the tiles in profile to the main door?

Yes, to be honest what you say is true. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making any glaring mistakes. I Prioritised the centralisation of the tile with the front door, however I didn't know if it was the norm to have it say central with the living room door so they when the door is open and you look from either end, you eye follows a full tile. As you say though its personal preference.

Living room - 4m x 3.9m
Hallway - 2.8m x 1.3m
Kitchen tiled space - 1.9m x 1.7m

The tiles are 660 x 440

Would in profile to the main door be laid at 90 degrees to how I have drawn them ATM? My only concern about this would be that it may make the hallway look long and narrow. I had also considered brick bond but if the grout lines aren't spot on it may be very noticeable.

Reaction score
Morning Jon. If the picture is accurate then personally I think the layout is spot on. It's how I would do it anyway! Hall is centralised, as is the kitchen which just leaves the lounge. As luck would have it the cuts look like they're fairly even around the room. By the time you've got your furniture in place I doubt it'll even be noticeable. Has your drawing allowed for the grout joint? I've been to jobs before where I've been presented with a cad drawing which looks great but in reality doesn't work when you add the required joint.

OP
J

JonR

Hi rich,

It's hard to see because of the scale but I have included a 3mm grout line in there so hopefully that should be fairly accurate.

OP
S

SJPurdy

looks good to me but make sure that the joint across the other doorway (7th joint up starting at bottom of drawing) is not short of (below on drawg) the wall. Is it a solid one piece floor slab or are there joints in it that need to be taken into consideration?

OP
J

JonR

Yes, that was an error on my part which I meant to correct. The layout ATM by that door way would leave a grout line 25mm away from the doorway on the hall side so I was just going to shift the whole lot up to be flush with the hallway wall side of that opening. It is a solid slab so no joints to be taken into consideration.

Reply to Initial Tiling Lay Out Downstairs Opinion in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris14498
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock