Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Indian Slate Tiles - White clouding / staining in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

D

DerekTimms

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi,

We had indian slate tiles laid on top of existing tiles in our bathroom floor Jan 2014.

We then sealed the slated with a FILA intensifier to seal the stone as recommended by the supplier.

Recently white staining has occurred as shown in the attached picture. I have reapplied the intensifier but it comes back.

It is an old property and with the ceramic tiles under I doubt that it could be efflorescence. The https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ was BAL and recommended by the supplier.

If you know how I can make good or have any ideas what it is that would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Derek
IMG_0694.JPG
IMG_0691.JPG

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
As plan tec,Could be salt migrating or bleeding in and up off the grout joint. Or It may be whitening of the impregnator,
I would test strip one stone, if the whitening disappears with the stripper, then it's whitening and an impregnator issue. If not , salt residue- you will need to test a suitable acidic based product to remove this. If you have a spare un laid stone- test this product on this, as not all slates are acidic resistant.
Once you have the test stone clean in the area, work through in small sections and complete the area.
Leave 7-9 days or until fully dry and re impregnate.

Reply to Indian Slate Tiles - White clouding / staining in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock