Discuss I'm Gonna do it, dont stop me now in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

tysfoot

After working for the royal mail as a postman for the last 8 months building up my toolkit and experience as a tiler im finally gonna jump in the deep end and do it full time.

Ive got a van, business cards, complete tool kit, a good name and experience in the most common types of tiling.

Only thing is- im in debt and i have no money but by keeping on working at the royal mail im either gonna just survive or i take the plunge and either sink or fly

Im in the yell book, just put myself in yell.com £1 a day advertising (just for now as i think its expensive) and im putting myself in the local rag (hoping this will bring in most work)

gonna put my notice in next week and any days or weeks in the beginning that i dont have any work im gonna go the the agencies and find crappy warehouse work on a daily basis so at least i can pay the bills.

If anyone else is reading this and are in my situation - It is hard especially if youve got the morgage to pay and a nagging wife but its now or never

New year New start.... Come on phone RING BLOODY RING

if there is anyone who has just recently took to the deep end and have any advice on the first few weeks and months let me know

W

wivers

I did 6 years on the post mate and i can honestly say the best thing i did was to jump outa it and into this... even though i didn't so much jump as get pushed in the end :p

T

tysfoot

Cheers guys. its gonna take time to build up regular work i reckon but i cant stay in a dead end job anymore. How is everyone doing for work then, are you guys busy and if so how long are you booked up for

D

DHTiling

As of t/day booked till mid april....its really starting to pick up now so it might just be a good time to go for it mate....

G

GazTech

Go for it matey...as Dave sais, we will help you and encourage you all the way........Gaz :yes: :grouphug:

D

DHTiling

18 yrs this yr mate....and no advertising as such..listed on trusted-tradesmen and have my van signed...apart from that its word of mouth and regular work from builders etc......I wish you all the best mate..so just take the good with the bad and stick at it mate...

T

tiler burden

thats the spirit tysfoot,

your a winner and a fighter mate and thats all you need in life ;0)

youve decided you deserve more in life and your gonna grab it with both hands and i admire that.

theres nothing wrong with being a post man or having a steady job BUT go for your dream 1st and then if it fails (which it wont ;0) ) then you can always go back to being safe then

dont worry about debt, we all have it, ask northern rock..you can always go bankrupt lol

and finally, dont wait 4 that phone to ring, get out there to all the tiling shops, make them feel sorry 4 you. people in this country love to help the underdog so play upto it ......if your doing well they resent you

ssave half of what you earn and put it into an isa and leave it alone, you wont be in debt for long...

all the best

ed

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Tysfoot, well done and good luck mate. I'm sure there's nothing you've missed so you have the best chance possible. Think positive (cheesy but it works) and stay active and in tiler mode ALL the time - in the pub, shopping, whatever - saw a tip somewhere - wear a t-shirt while shopping with your company name and TILING written in MASSIVE with your telephone number and always have some cards to hand.

I can't stress enough how important it is to have the backing of a good tile shop, in the hope you send them some custom and they remember you and end up helping you get a little work in return.

Get your family and friends to all go in a tile shop and get a quote and tell them to say you sent them there. Eventually somebody will remember you.

If you do end up doing the odd agency day, make sure they are sending you different local places and leave lots of cards in the canteen etc.

Get some flyers done and post them around your town.

And scrap that £1 a day yell crap. Get yourself a website with the £300 from myself or some other guy and you'll get much more business through that in the right area's.

Good luck again mate.

N

NW tiler

Tysfoot, I've just started out like yourself. I've put an ad in the local paper, got one or two calls a week but so far no joy with my quotes. Don't know if I'm underpricing or over pricing. I'm going to get a couple of quotes on my own house to see what the competitions like.
On the quiet days I've been walking the streets and just posting my business card through doors. So far this has got me two jobs, so that seems to be working.
The t-shirt idea, walking aroung B and Q etc, is quite good, although so far no-one has approached me.
I keep getting told that this is the quiet period of the year so I'm hoping it will pick up.
All the best.

Reply to I'm Gonna do it, dont stop me now in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks