Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss I’m about to tackle my most challenging tile job in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

United States of America
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I’m torn on which pattern to use. They are 1x2s for the floor and walls. Seems like simple horizontal stack will be simple and easy to line up floor and wall vertical grout lines. But also considering 1/3 offset patterns. Will repeat or assending offsets look too busy? I don’t know if its possible to line up floor and wall grout lines with those patterns. All advice is welcomed.

Attachments

• IMG_7318.MOV
    36.2 MB

hk940

Arms
Reaction score
Movie doesn't play for me either. I just finished my own floor with 1x2 (feet) tiles and used the one third offset. By ascending do you mean repeating every third, instead of every other?
I like the looks of the 1/3 ascending better than every other, and suggested it to the customer on the two bath floors I did two weeks ago.

OP
G
Reaction score
I’ve decided to vertically stack the walls and line up all the floor tile grout lines with the wall lines for this bath. This Layout seems to work out okay. In the back two shower corners. The cut tiles will be 6” wide on both sides of each corner. All the other wall tiles remain two foot long. I’m going up just over 3 foot high and capping with a bullnose on all the walls outside the shower. This ends the tile just under the light switches and medicine cabinet.
My other bath is more challenging...

A0DE5946-D1BB-4EFD-BD7B-21E66AA20884.png

04DC9C22-4458-4507-B3D1-D258A1B969DF.png

6D83D94A-7B1E-478D-9966-6FCA4B52049C.png

hk940

Arms
Reaction score
I see you are using Ditra mat, good stuff.
A funny story, I was going to do a marble floor at the shore home of a contractor I had done a lot of work for in the past.
When I arrived with my helper, the floor was not up to specs. for a marble installation.
The easiest way to fix the problem was to use Ditra mat.
I was over 100 miles away from my supplier of it.
I called the local! (still 40 miles away) Home Depot when I got the girl from flooring on the line and explained I needed Schluter Dit ra mat she said they did not carry it.
I knew the home depot was a retailer of it.
She then asked what was it for and I explained what it was and said it's an orange tile underlayment.
She then said Oh! you mean Dee tra mat!

OP
G
Reaction score
I was first exposed to the product line when I saw it being used at a renovation job for a veterans retirement home facility. I wanted a curb less shower but couldn’t do it in this 2nd floor bath because of a sloping floor. I had to install floor leveler to straighten out the framers errors. Learned the hard way, multiple pours turned into a nightmare. Had to do some grinding to get it all even. House was designed with a center column to support floor beams. Framers missed adding top plate on column. Made whole floor dip 1” low towards the center. Not noticeable but water would have drained away from bath towards the center of the house. With a sill added at the bathroom door I’ve solved that problem.

Reply to I’m about to tackle my most challenging tile job in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock