Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss I think my tiler has used floor grout on my walls? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi
I had my kitchen wall tiled last week. I'm not overly happy with the job at all, but the grout is terrible. It's really gritty. When I questioned him he said he'd used course grout because the tiles had uneven edges. I suspect he had some left over from a previous flooring job he'd been doing and used that. Is there any reason why course, gritty grout would ever be used on a kitchen wall?

Attachments

• jNQJ3BJ6RGCSjPIFlUalEw.jpg
    jNQJ3BJ6RGCSjPIFlUalEw.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 103

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
many grouts are used for both walls and floors are some can be very gritty so I wouldn't say he has used the wrong grout, there are finer grouts available, but alot is down to what the tiler is used to using.
do you know what make of grout was used?

OP
Y
Reaction score
I don’t unfortunately, it was ready mixed in a white tub. It just looks so bad I’ve never seen anything like it! I don’t know why he would use that instead of smooth grout. I don’t think it will clean easily either and it’s a splash back wall.
Thanks for your response though, I appreciate it.

D

Dumbo

To be honest with tiles like that I would of done it with wider joint and then it would be easier to get a good finish with a wide joint grout (coarse)

OP
Y
Reaction score
To be honest with tiles like that I would of done it with wider joint and then it would be easier to get a good finish with a wide joint grout (coarse)
Do you think anything can be done to make the grout look better? He’s coming back on Thursday to ‘fix’ it but I’m not sure what can be done?

D

Dumbo

To be honest , no .
But you have a rustic style tile , rustic grout doesn't look out of place .

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
He has got nothing to fix IMHO. Some grouts can be a little more sandy then others and are generally used on both walls and floors. From the picture you have posted, I actually think the more sandy grout looks a lot better with that style of rustic tile then a fine joint grout. Feel a bit sorry for the tiler on this one and i'd be charging for a re-grout if the grout type or manufacturer wasn't specified by customer beforehand.

OP
Y
Reaction score
He has got nothing to fix IMHO. Some grouts can be a little more sandy then others and are generally used on both walls and floors. From the picture you have posted, I actually think the more sandy grout looks a lot better with that style of rustic tile then a fine joint grout. Feel a bit sorry for the tiler on this one and i'd be charging for a re-grout if the grout type or manufacturer wasn't specified by customer beforehand.
Thanks for your response. I guess it’s just not what we were expecting. You see a photo and display of the tiles in the showroom and assume it’s going to look the same. Maybe we’ll get used to it! He’s coming back to silicone round the edges, not regrouting the tiles - he just said he’d see if he could fix it. Thanks for your opinion though - good to have another point of view ....
[automerge]1573623277[/automerge]
Looks fine to me , the down light really doesn't help , will highlight the slightest thing
We don’t have downlighters. We were going to get them but dont think we’ll bother now!!
Thanks for your response :)

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I guess it’s just not what we were expecting. You see a photo and display of the tiles in the showroom and assume it’s going to look the same. Maybe we’ll get used to it! He’s coming back to silicone round the edges, not regrouting the tiles - he just said he’d see if he could fix it. Thanks for your opinion though - good to have another point of view ....
[automerge]1573623277[/automerge]

We don’t have downlighters. We were going to get them but dont think we’ll bother now!!
Thanks for your response :)
No problem, just how I see it thats all.

Reply to I think my tiler has used floor grout on my walls? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock