Discuss I need help :( in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hopefully someone can help. I’ve never tiled before but for a surprise to my mum (I’m 19 and still live at home ok) I’m wanting to re-tile the bathroom. I have everything I need (I think) but do I need to buy a primer? I’ll be tiling over old tiles and I’ve just been looking up different methods and someone said I need to prime else the adhesive won’t stick?

Reaction score
Its a lovely gesture wanting to give your mum a surprise, but there's so many things to take into account, especially if you plan to tile over old ones..

Yes, priming the old surface is required but are the old ones sound? Clean? Are they the same size? Do you know how to set out (Plan the layout). Is it a 'wet area'?. what adhesive do you plan on using? Is it floor to ceiling?

Reaction score
Its a lovely gesture wanting to give your mum a surprise, but there's so many things to take into account, especially if you plan to tile over old ones..

Yes, priming the old surface is required but are the old ones sound? Clean? Are they the same size? Do you know how to set out (Plan the layout). Is it a 'wet area'?. what adhesive do you plan on using? Is it floor to ceiling?

Yes they’re sound and clean, it’s a wet area, don’t remember the exact name of the adhesive but it’s used for bathrooms, it’s not floor to ceiling and the newer tiles are the size of two of the old ones

Dhtiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Are you doing the shower pan as well? You can prime and set over well bonded wall tiles, but not the shower tray. Pictures make all of our day better.

Reaction score
Very rarely tile over existing tiles but if they are stuck on solid and new tiles are not too heavy then should be fine. (Is there a reason not to remove the existing tiles? Time, cost, creating more work.. Etc?)
I'd get some Mapei prim grip (spealt right) and paint over. Would use a standard set cement based adhesive. There will also be silicone sealing to do in the internal corners and around the shower tray/bath? Use a decent brand, a spray bottle with some soapy water and a finishing tool.
hope it all goes well

Reaction score
Very rarely tile over existing tiles but if they are stuck on solid and new tiles are not too heavy then should be fine. (Is there a reason not to remove the existing tiles? Time, cost, creating more work.. Etc?)
I'd get some Mapei prim grip (spealt right) and paint over. Would use a standard set cement based adhesive. There will also be silicone sealing to do in the internal corners and around the shower tray/bath? Use a decent brand, a spray bottle with some soapy water and a finishing tool.
hope it all goes well

wont be removing old tiles do to cost, they’re stuck on pretty well too. Thank you for the recommendation! I have sealer and adhesive that was recommended for the tiles I have. Thank you for the help

D

Dumbo

Just because a shop recomended the sealer they sell it doesn't mean it's any good .
I'm not bad a silicone work , but when I built my house the granite guys left me some silicone to seal in my inset hob, now I could not get a decent finish with it , tried many times , in the end I went and got some Dow corning silicone and did it in one hit .
So as @J K Tiling Cornwall says use decent silicone

Reaction score
Just because a shop recomended the sealer they sell it doesn't mean it's any good .
I'm not bad a silicone work , but when I built my house the granite guys left me some silicone to seal in my inset hob, now I could not get a decent finish with it , tried many times , in the end I went and got some Dow corning silicone and did it in one hit .
So as @J K Tiling Cornwall says use decent silicone

well I’m not bothering anymore.

D

Dumbo

It's not being down your throat , we are trying to give you the best possible advice we can you have a trouble free installation that will last for years to come rather than you put in a lot of time and effort and for it to go wrong because some small detail that may have big consequences . I'm sorry you feel this way but we're only trying to help.

Reply to I need help :( in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks