Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss How would you prep these walls in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

DS_96

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all

just looking for some advice on a potential first job. The job is a small upstairs bathroom. The customer would like 2 walls tiled. The customer will be putting the bath in before tile which obviously isn’t shown in the picture.
The walls need some prepping as the plaster is starting to flake off in patches and still old https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ on the wall. Do you think it would be best to take the whole wall down to what seems to be the bottom layer?

my thought process is prep the walls back to solid plaster or render. Tank the walls where the bath will be then continue to tile as normal.
any advice would greatly appreciated. Thanks Dan.

Attachments

• 68DF2401-64C2-4C08-85CC-7013092DA140.jpeg
    68DF2401-64C2-4C08-85CC-7013092DA140.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 0D591F93-5DA3-4565-9A86-5C2D6B8BA0DF.jpeg
    0D591F93-5DA3-4565-9A86-5C2D6B8BA0DF.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 64953E63-3DFE-44DE-BB8D-8C0ED31ABA9E.jpeg
    64953E63-3DFE-44DE-BB8D-8C0ED31ABA9E.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 39

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I would be inclined to overboard with Delta/Wedi etc board.

Did this one 2 weeks ago, damaged stramit walls, taking down was not an option.

ACA50F34-26EB-4688-A971-704BAC18CBB1.jpeg EC6DEB47-FD7D-49DF-AD68-F69D1F50A2B4.jpeg D2F83364-2BDE-4BDB-B63F-3B306616E7DE.jpeg

J

J Sid

Hi Boggs
Thanks for replying to my thread! Think I will install 6mm hardiebacker boards. Would you leave a few mm gap between the floor and bottom of the board?

thanks
Dan
I would bal boards, easier to cut

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
As mentioned Hardie is a pain to use for over boarding walls, xps boards are much easier to handle and cut.

As with plasterboard, just leave the board 10mm or so from the floor.

OP
D

DS_96

-
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies gents, I appreciate your help. I didn’t get the job in the end but it was a good experience. I’m a bit puzzled as the customer said she had other quotes that said tanking isn’t required for this bath/shower. Just wondering if I was correct in thinking that this would need tanking over the boards?

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
It's got nothing to do with the cost of the tanking mate, it's £60 for a tub of that and a little bit of time in you painting it on. What the client has likely done is found somebody who will just tile straight onto that mess as it is now and is therefore likely much cheaper than you.

I've had that a few times now, but I wont do the tile unless the substrate is sound as I just dont want the comeback. One failed job like that posted all over social media wont do your reputation any favours and I think from the sound of things you approached the job and the client in the right way.

The only one I actually did with a poor substrate was tile for a building contractor who had prepped the walls themselves with ply and nothing else in a shower area and to be honest it was shocking. I told them it needed ripping out and re-doing properly with backer boards and the relevant tanking but the refused based on time! I was being paid top rate for the work, so I did it, but wish I hadn't bothered because it was all over the place and an absolute nightmare. I regret getting involved and am only sticking to private clients now.

Good luck in your endeavors

OP
D

DS_96

-
Reaction score
It's got nothing to do with the cost of the tanking mate, it's £60 for a tub of that and a little bit of time in you painting it on. What the client has likely done is found somebody who will just tile straight onto that mess as it is now and is therefore likely much cheaper than you.

I've had that a few times now, but I wont do the tile unless the substrate is sound as I just dont want the comeback. One failed job like that posted all over social media wont do your reputation any favours and I think from the sound of things you approached the job and the client in the right way.

The only one I actually did with a poor substrate was tile for a building contractor who had prepped the walls themselves with ply and nothing else in a shower area and to be honest it was shocking. I told them it needed ripping out and re-doing properly with backer boards and the relevant tanking but the refused based on time! I was being paid top rate for the work, so I did it, but wish I hadn't bothered because it was all over the place and an absolute nightmare. I regret getting involved and am only sticking to private clients now.

Good luck in your endeavors

thanks for replying eddcotte and thanks for your advice.
Sorry I meant, was it incorrect for me to say it needed tanking? As in do you think that tanking the tile backer boards in the shower area would have been the correct procedure?

Reply to How would you prep these walls in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock