Discuss How would this be boarded? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Grazza

-
Reaction score
Hi,
Any ideas how I would attach a foam backer board (or indeed any type of backer) along the right side of the window in the attached picture.
The right side is about 130 mm.

Attachments

• wall_20220822_184226.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 17
  • wall_20220822_184250.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 16

Grazza

-
Reaction score
Is this a joke?
Mechanically fix; screws for cement boards, screws and big washers for foam XPS boards.
Why do you think its a a joke? What do you think this forum is for? LOL

That section is just 130mm wide. Ideally I would put a screw in the left and the right hand side because just a single screw in the middle would potentially pivot.
Apparently I dont need adhesive if its an even surface, but obviously the adhesive would prevent any movement.
The down side with putting a left and right fixing is that its really close to the window reveal and as Im sure you know you cannot drive to close to the edge else the block will split off. esp with spanker dowels.

Im also wondering if there is reason for using 1200 hardies over 2400 foam backer? So sorry Ben if that question isnt valid enough for you. Maybe someone else has some less negative advice?

Reaction score
I’m messing with you pal!

As you say adhesive not needed but if fixings are poor it’ll help you out.
I’d put screws down both edges to stop it rocking.
Drill a couple of test holes if you like to see how plugs hold- if suspect just stick it on , then when dry a couple of mechanical fixings gently in the centre will be fine and stop it ‘peeling’ - much as one does when dot/dab plasterboard.

Grazza

-
Reaction score
Thank you Ben :)

I figured a little adhesive along the side of the window would be best, but was just worried it would be proud compared to the rest of the wall - Im sure a couple of few mm wont show.

Reaction score
What thickness board are you using?
You could always buy one board of the next size down so that with adhesive it became flush with the others.
To clarify- if you’re using 10mm, buy one 6mm board.

Reply to How would this be boarded? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks