Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss How to waterproof floor in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi - Im in the middle of refurbing my daughters ensuite (Jack and Jill), I don't plan to fit a wet room, but when you have teenage daughters im as well making it as waterproof as I can. I have removed all the plasterboard on the walls and replacing with Kerdi board, and I will seal appropriately around the shower area, I plan to replace the chipboard flooring with 18mm Marine Ply. I was going to use hardie backer board on top of the ply, then tile, but Im not sure that give me a good waterproof seal for the floor, are there any suggestions in what is best to waterproof the plywood floor? thanks

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi - Im in the middle of refurbing my daughters ensuite (Jack and Jill), I don't plan to fit a wet room, but when you have teenage daughters im as well making it as waterproof as I can. I have removed all the plasterboard on the walls and replacing with Kerdi board, and I will seal appropriately around the shower area, I plan to replace the chipboard flooring with 18mm Marine Ply. I was going to use hardie backer board on top of the ply, then tile, but Im not sure that give me a good waterproof seal for the floor, are there any suggestions in what is best to waterproof the plywood floor? thanks
Ditra membrane the floor and kerdi joint the joints. That will suffice but also at least a 100mm upstand around the perimeter as well for over kill. But tbh A backer board will also be fine for general water overspill wetting. ( Not wetroom use ).

OP
S
Reaction score
Ditra membrane the floor and kerdi joint the joints. That will suffice but also at least a 100mm upstand around the perimeter as well for over kill. But tbh A backer board will also be fine for general water overspill wetting. ( Not wetroom use ).
thanks Dave, I will probably go for the hardie backer board for the floor, would it be OK to hardie backer 6mm the whole floor, then fit the shower tray on top of the backer board., wasn't sure if I had to fit the shower tray over the ply and hardie backer around the tray. cheers

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
thanks Dave, I will probably go for the hardie backer board for the floor, would it be OK to hardie backer 6mm the whole floor, then fit the shower tray on top of the backer board., wasn't sure if I had to fit the shower tray over the ply and hardie backer around the tray. cheers
Nah its fine over. đź‘Ť. Use a suitable flexible https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/

OP
S
Reaction score
Nah its fine over. đź‘Ť. Use a suitable flexible https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/
thanks Dave, sorry to be a nuisance, one last thing, would you recommend me applying primer, tanking liquid etc.. to the
backer board, to form some level of waterproof as belt and braces. thanks C

Reply to How to waterproof floor in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock