Discuss how to tile round bath? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
What is the best way to tile round a bath?

Basic stuff pros take for granted but is not obvious for me! The subfloor is t&g floorboards and I will use 6mm backer boards. The walls are cement render.

Q1) I was thinking it is better to tile down to the top edges of the bath so the tiles ovelap and the top of the bath is a little underneath the tiles as this would be more waterproof than tiling the wall and then pushing the bath up against the tiles (and then sealing with silicone). Am I right?

Q2) I have ready made plastic bath panels and they are the same length as the bath but have a bowed/curved cross section how they are molded.

Fitting the bath panel first and then tiling up to it would not be easy for me. Plus, I might want to fit a flat/straight panel later so do not want the tiles profiled round the curved panel. What is the best overall approach to take care of this? Is it better to trim the panel and tile behind the panel but still tile around the top of the bath. (The panels do not look designed for trimming and keep their shape due to the way it is molded at each end.)

Q3) Floor. There needs a 2X2 baton screwed along the floor to fix the bottom of the bath panel. Should I fit the panel and then tile up to it or tile right up to the baton so that the bottom of the panel comes down onto the tiles?

Q4) The panel has a lip on the bottom, should the batton have a corner cut out all the way along so it over hangs and the panel lip will fit under?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I've removed your link. Add the image to the thread or not at all. Thread can become useless if we rely on an image that isn't there next week.

Cheers. :)

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi,

Q1. Yes your right, tile down over the bath, leave a gap or around 2mm from the top of the bath and tile for movement, this will be covered when you seal it up with silicone.

Q2. Tile with the panel off, i always go in by the bath, underneath by around 50/100mm. The panel should be trimmable. I never do it but someone will come along that is a bathroom fitter also to help with that. Perhaps @Boggs ?

Q3. Tile up the the baton then fit the panel, you will end up tiling the panel in if you don't.

Q4. I'm not sure on this one sorry as i don't fit them.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I haven’t fitted a plastic panel for many years tbh, but they can be trimmed to size and you will need to fix some blocks of timber to the wall to stop it pushing in.

I would advise you to chuck it away and buy a solid bath panel as it will be far superior and also goes some way to supporting the bath edge.

As @Tony_C has advised, tile around and past the bath by 50 - 100mm on the walls and floor.

Images below should help, this bath was fitted with a solid panel.

69B4DD28-7230-479B-8FB2-3102484DD95B.jpeg
B0EC8FD6-09D3-44C4-B2D7-618617D8A257.jpeg
42EECF02-C8CF-49DE-BD8B-0B8CA7997793.jpeg

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I will trim the panel so it butts up to the tiles running along the wall inside the bath area of the wall. I will fit a tiled panel later but don't have time right now so the plastic one will be quick.

I can see in the photo you have plywood over the floor about 6 inches under the bath and then screwed the baton through the plywood.

The baton in my case will be fixed to the floor, recessed by 20mm in from the edge of the bath, so I was going to only tile up to that. Otherwise, I won't be able to screw the baton down through the tiles. Is there a reason for going in more than 20mm and how can I fix the batons?

I could go in say 200mm under the bath with the backer boards, screw the baton through the backer board and tile up to the baton? However, I thought it would be handy not to cover the floorboards under the bath so they might be lifted for maintenance later?

Also, why is your bath full of water?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I can see in the photo you have plywood over the floor about 6 inches under the bath and then screwed the baton through the plywood.

The baton in my case will be fixed to the floor, recessed by 20mm in from the edge of the bath, so I was going to only tile up to that. Otherwise, I won't be able to screw the baton down through the tiles. Is there a reason for going in more than 20mm and how can I fix the batons?

I could go in say 200mm under the bath with the backer boards, screw the baton through the backer board and tile up to the baton? However, I thought it would be handy not to cover the floorboards under the bath so they might be lifted for maintenance later?
Hi guys, I'm still not sure I fully understand where the tiles should end and how to fix the batons. Any more clarification would be a real help. Thanks

Tanker

-
Reaction score
What is the best way to tile round a bath?

Basic stuff pros take for granted but is not obvious for me! The subfloor is t&g floorboards and I will use 6mm backer boards. The walls are cement render.

Q1) I was thinking it is better to tile down to the top edges of the bath so the tiles ovelap and the top of the bath is a little underneath the tiles as this would be more waterproof than tiling the wall and then pushing the bath up against the tiles (and then sealing with silicone). Am I right?

Q2) I have ready made plastic bath panels and they are the same length as the bath but have a bowed/curved cross section how they are molded.

Fitting the bath panel first and then tiling up to it would not be easy for me. Plus, I might want to fit a flat/straight panel later so do not want the tiles profiled round the curved panel. What is the best overall approach to take care of this? Is it better to trim the panel and tile behind the panel but still tile around the top of the bath. (The panels do not look designed for trimming and keep their shape due to the way it is molded at each end.)

Q3) Floor. There needs a 2X2 baton screwed along the floor to fix the bottom of the bath panel. Should I fit the panel and then tile up to it or tile right up to the baton so that the bottom of the panel comes down onto the tiles?

Q4) The panel has a lip on the bottom, should the batton have a corner cut out all the way along so it over hangs and the panel lip will fit under?
The lip is there if you need to fix a kick board ( if the panel don’t go all the way to the floor

Reply to how to tile round bath? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks