Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss How To Tile Over Spray Foam That Has Not Set Hard in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Toby

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
My plumber has just finished the pipework into a drain in a new utility. He said he would put down some board but instead has half-filled a cavity with foam. But the foam has not dried hard it has dried soft.

Originally I envisaged using self leveling compound but I can't lay this on soft foam. Wondering what the best approach will be.

I boxed the open drain off when applying self leveling to the rest of the floor. The foam is 1 to 2 inches below screed surface. I then have around 10mm where leveling compound and tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ sits under adjacent tiles.

The tiles are 60cm x 30cm. The 2 tiles that will cover the drain area will both have screed floor under most of the tile but the corners will be over the drain.

At this point I'm thinking of removing the foam. Or laying thin plywood over the drain and tile over that.
drain.jpg

O

Old Mod

Yes definitely remove it, don’t use ply, it’s bound to rot out at some point.

OP
Toby

Toby

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for responses. I took some of the foam out then covered with pre-mix concrete. This has set well. I'll now use SLC and tile over that. This will be under about 25% of non load bearing part of tile as it's right up against the wall so hopefully will be fine.

Reply to How To Tile Over Spray Foam That Has Not Set Hard in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock