Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss How to prepare this floor for tile ? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Jimbob12

DIY Tiler
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I have a 23m2 kitchen floor. Most of the floor is floorboards but there’s a patch around / under the stove that had to be screeded to install the laminate flooring. This screed sits higher than the floor boards. What would be the best way to prepare this floor? Could I grind that down so it’s flush with the floorboards ? If so, what tools / equipment would be best to do this ? Then, can I just nail plywood over the whole floor ready for tile ?

Attachments

• 568C0BCC-E090-43CA-ADB1-060447051F88.png
    568C0BCC-E090-43CA-ADB1-060447051F88.png
    431.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 4CF79305-70DC-4B1C-B466-6E51F499341D.png
    4CF79305-70DC-4B1C-B466-6E51F499341D.png
    341.6 KB · Views: 25

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
You will have to overboard the floor boards with a tile backer board and fix appropriately with screws and perhaps achesive. not plywood and nails. You have a few options but it's easily sorted.

1. Use a lower profile backer board say 6mm and depending on the height difference grind that high spot down to match.

2. Use a thicker backerboard, say 12mm to come up more to that height.

3. Smaller profile backerboard and levelling compound to come up a few more mm of you don't want to grind it down.

It all comes down to just how much higher that spot is and what heights you have to play with in the rest of the room.

Get a spirit level, place it on the highest point on that screed then see how high off the floor boards it is until it shows its level and you will know the height you need to make up to or come down to.

OP
J

Jimbob12

DIY Tiler
Reaction score
You will have to overboard the floor boards with a tile backer board and fix appropriately with screws and perhaps achesive. not plywood and nails. You have a few options but it's easily sorted.

1. Use a lower profile backer board say 6mm and depending on the height difference grind that high spot down to match.

2. Use a thicker backerboard, say 12mm to come up more to that height.

3. Smaller profile backerboard and levelling compound to come up a few more mm of you don't want to grind it down.

It all comes down to just how much higher that spot is and what heights you have to play with in the rest of the room.

Get a spirit level, place it on the highest point on that screed then see how high off the floor boards it is until it shows its level and you will know the height you need to make up to or come down to.

Thank you, very informative.
I will find the highest point of the screed and install hardiebacker on the floorboards at a thickness that brings me closest to that point and grind down or level up depending on the height ?

What leveller would you recommend ?

What would you use to grind the screed down ?

Will I have to put anything in the joint between the screed and the hardiebacker and will porcelain plank tiles be alright going from screed to boards ?

Also, in the past I’ve plained floorboards that are sticking out a few mm to get the floor completely flat. Is this good practice ? I always check for sturdiness and add screws if necessary.

I appreciate your help 👍

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I can't really tell from the pictures but if that screed is just a layer over floorboards also you can probably just remove it by breaking it up then overboarding, otherwise you are just relying on a bit of screed over some boards for the strength on that spot, i'd maybe want to know what's under there and why they screeded over it. I don't understand why they previously would have created a high spot with screed as that would have caused a lump for the laminate flooring also.

As for grinding you would need a grinder with a diamond cup. I have only really used weber leveller as it whats i get locally so i can't recommend which is best for you, i think you can get mapei leveller from screwfix.

Yes that would be good practice, it will only aid you in getting a more level floor for boarding over, also securing any loose boards with screws also.

Without really knowing what is under that patch of screed i'm a but reluctant now to advise just tile from that to meet the backerboards, there could be hacked up boards or damaged boards under there and potentially a weak spot waiting to happen.

Reply to How to prepare this floor for tile ? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock