Discuss How to layout tile in 1/3 offset pattern in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have all the tile I need and the materials to redo my bathroom shower. This is my first time tiling and I have already completed the shower floor.

I need help\advice on how to lay the tile on the shower wall. I am using 12 x 24 inch tiles with 1/8 inch grout lines. My shower wall is 59 1/2 inches in height and 81 3/4 inches in width. The manufacturer of the tile recommends a 15-30% offset pattern on laying out the tile. I just don't know how to do this, where to start or where to cut etc.
I was hoping to find one of those calculators similar to the one that helps to determine how many tiles are needed by inputting the square footage of the room, but instead, showing how to do your layout with the dimensions I inputted above.
Does anyone know how I should lay them out? I honest;y don't care of the pattern, if its 15 or 30 percent, whatever, just want to get started.
Thanks.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
What you're asking is perhaps the hardest part of tiling. The setting out of it.

So you need to start at a position where all the tiles when laid mean there are no small or difficult cuts. Taking features into account so in a bathroom perhaps the window and bath and wash basin etc.

Can you show us some pictures of the room?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have all the tile I need and the materials to redo my bathroom shower. This is my first time tiling and I have already completed the shower floor.

I need help\advice on how to lay the tile on the shower wall. I am using 12 x 24 inch tiles with 1/8 inch grout lines. My shower wall is 59 1/2 inches in height and 81 3/4 inches in width. The manufacturer of the tile recommends a 15-30% offset pattern on laying out the tile. I just don't know how to do this, where to start or where to cut etc.
I was hoping to find one of those calculators similar to the one that helps to determine how many tiles are needed by inputting the square footage of the room, but instead, showing how to do your layout with the dimensions I inputted above.
Does anyone know how I should lay them out? I honest;y don't care of the pattern, if its 15 or 30 percent, whatever, just want to get started.
Thanks.

The tiles will probably have curvature, hence the recommended bond. You can either fix 1/3 bond or a straight stack bond. Measure tiled area +10%

1BC9DE3E-67AE-4E69-9C3C-819E672A3E0D.png

6459FAAE-18F8-42A6-AC62-6B7B4F8931FC.jpeg

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies. Here's the photo as requested. It's only the large wall that I gave the dimensions on. Once I see the pattern on that, then I can figure out the other walls.

I could be totally wrong here - but I calculated that if I use 5 rows of tile at 12 inches per tile, that's 60 inches. Adding 6 1/8 inch grout lines, leaves me at a height of 60 3/4 inches. The wall height is 59 1/2, which leaves me 1 1/4 inches of tile to cut from the bottom row. So if I start on the second to bottom row and work my way up, then the bottom row I will tile last and thats where I'll have my smallest cut. Does this make sense?

20200820_080739.jpg

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies. Here's the photo as requested. It's only the large wall that I gave the dimensions on. Once I see the pattern on that, then I can figure out the other walls.

I could be totally wrong here - but I calculated that if I use 5 rows of tile at 12 inches per tile, that's 60 inches. Adding 6 1/8 inch grout lines, leaves me at a height of 60 3/4 inches. The wall height is 59 1/2, which leaves me 1 1/4 inches of tile to cut from the bottom row. So if I start on the second to bottom row and work my way up, then the bottom row I will tile last and thats where I'll have my smallest cut. Does this make sense?

View attachment 113225

It does yes. 👍

Reaction score
Hello all,

Thanks.
Have a look at protoTILER (ProtoTILER - Https://protoTILER.weebly.com), this will do exactly what you're asking for. Take a look at https://www.reddit.com/u/protoTILER/s/ow12piCVhn it will show you examples of different layouts for a small bathroom. Have fun.

Reply to How to layout tile in 1/3 offset pattern in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Carr
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks