Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss How to get rid of wha looks like calcium stains? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I have cream coloured limestone tiles installed on outdoor walls around the perimeter of my property.

I took the advice of the tile seller and made sure contractors dried the limestone thoroughly before the install using a torch and then sealed them afterwards with the stores recommended sealant. The install and sealing were completed by contractors yet white stains are seaping through various areas.

There are two distinct sections: one part of my wall has both sides tiled while in other sections only the visible side is tiled. The other side of the latter remains exposed cinderblocks.

Although both sections are showing signs of white seepage the section that has only one side tiled has much more of the white stuff.

Plus the section that has both sides tiled did not show signs of seapage for two years while the section with only one side began showing sides of seepage after one year. So the one-sided tile section has much more seepage and the sealant did little to preserve its beauty.

Of note: the city I live experiences a lot of rain in the fall and winter periods. We rarely get snow.

WHAT THE TILE SELLER SAID
I have been told it's trapped moisture that is trying to get out. They also said even though I dried them using a blowtorch and the sun, moisture in the thin set could be causing this too. I observed the contractors and they buttered the back of the tiles completely. I even recall them drying the cinderblock.

Also on the one-sided tiled sections that are seaping more, the installers deemed it best to use concrete board because of the unevenness on the cinderblock wall. Not sure if that is a problem

My question is what is the secret to getting rid of these stains?

What I've tried so far: Power washed, acid wash, hand sanded and light tool sanded then resealed. Nothing seems to fully remain the stain. I light faint residue remains. After those efforts I resealed the tiles but the stain partially resurfaced in one week and was full visible in two weeks.

Now I am trying the following: torch, wash with soap, torch again and seal. I will wait to see if this works and let you know.

Attachments

• IMG_9555.jpg
    IMG_9555.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9556.jpg
    IMG_9556.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9557.jpg
    IMG_9557.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9558.jpg
    IMG_9558.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 14

Reply to How to get rid of wha looks like calcium stains? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock