Discuss How to create a removable ceramic floor tile? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

Midge6

Hi, I’m hoping someone here can point me in the right direction with this problem. Some time back we had a leaking heating pipe under a tile floor, unfortunately we only had one spare tile and in spite of extensive enquiries we could not find any more. We took the decision to completely disconnect the leaking pipe circuit and run a new one. This wasn’t easy, as we had to drill 90 cm under the tile floor from the access point (See attached picture) to a point where we could start the new circuit. Having completed the pipe work, we are now wondering how to close the hole, ideally, we would like to be able to fit our one and only spare tile in such a way that it could be lifted out if needs be. The overall depth of the hole is about 11 cm and at their highest point, the copper pipes are 35mm to 45 mm below the finished top surface of the tiles and the ceramic tiles are 31cm square and 7 mm thick. Allowing for a bit of expansion and insulation, it would seem that we only have about 25mm filling between the underside of the tile and the top of the pipe insulation. Any ideas would be appreciated; I should add that the pipes will be insulated to allow for expansion. If the removable tile is a non starter how should we fill the hole and provide adequate support for the tile?
Looking forward to your comments,
Many thanks,

Midge.

Attachments

• Access point.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 74
M

Matt

Personally, I can't think of any way that you could do this without the risk of the tile cracking when stood upon. But, if there is a away, these guys will know it :thumbsup:

Edit: I have seen things like magnets used to do this on walls. But that would leave a void under the tile and it would have absolutely no strength

Last edited by a moderator:
F

faithhealer

It's that big void in the middle thats the problem. How about stick the tile to apiece of 25 ply (at least the tile is supported) then dig out a hole to accomodate it. then silicon the grout gap. Would have to be a good flat surface on the bottom of the hole because if you use any addy or silicon, it ain't coming back out again!

T

theyomper

My thought on this would be to have made a manhole type plate. So that the frame work would sit inside and that the tile would be fixed to the cover.
I have had to do this in the past but with a rather larger manhole, covering an well that was found in the floor whilst replacing the floor. It was in a shop and within a main traffic area and I have not been called back to replace any cracked tiles to date.

J

jay

hi agree with theyomper you need a steel plate to support tile as mentioned tile needs total support

M

Midge6

Thanks guys for your input – much appreciated! :thumbsup:
The consensus so far seems to be that I stick the tile to plywood or a steel plate, open up the hole and slot the tile in. That sounds reasonable, except I would be worried about the changing temperature of the pipes leading to warped plywood or, in the case of the steel plate, a different expansion rate between the steel and the tile both leading to the tile eventually cracking? Going on from this idea though, would it be possible to cast a 25mm sand/cement mix to the back of my tile, allow it to cure and then set it in the hole? Alternatively, what about a 3 or 4 tile sandwich joined together with tile cement? Sorry if this all sounds a bit wacky, but when you’ve only one tile to play with it makes you think twice before you do anything.
I’ll let you mull that one over…
Many thanks
Midge.

F

faithhealer

I think that tile would never come back up again, pipework has been sorted so it's a thousand to one that it will give you anymore trouble. Mask the copper up, (any plastic sheet , sand and cement to height of floor then adhesive and tile and grout, proper job done.

M

Midge6

I think that tile would never come back up again, pipework has been sorted so it's a thousand to one that it will give you anymore trouble. Mask the copper up, (any plastic sheet , sand and cement to height of floor then adhesive and tile and grout, proper job done.

You’re probably right, but the bit I didn’t explain, as I didn’t want to make my post too long, is that there are a couple of other joints further down the line under the tiled floor that “might” give trouble in the future. If they do, I would need to change the tees to elbows (Disconnecting the offending circuit) and run an alternative circuit avoiding the tiled floor. I have had 2 leaking joints already, fortunately, only one was under the tiled floor. If I can organise a removable tile, it will at the very least give me peace of mind for the future.
Many thanks
Midge.

M

Midge6

can't a circuit be re routed before and after the tiled floor?

Yes, re-routing could be done, but not without a lot of concrete floors being dug up, radiators being moved, decorating and ensuing general mayhem – believe me, a removable tile would probably save me about a week’s work and a lot of ear ache! :smilewinkgrin: What do you think to the tile sandwich or sand/cement reinforcing?
Many thanks
Midge

F

faithhealer

Yes, re-routing could be done, but not without a lot of concrete floors being dug up, radiators being moved, decorating and ensuing general mayhem – believe me, a removable tile would probably save me about a week’s work and a lot of ear ache! :smilewinkgrin: What do you think to the tile sandwich or sand/cement reinforcing?
Many thanks
Midge

Think I would put the tile in properly and forget about it. A new tiled floor is the worst senario, easier than the 'above' mayhem

M

Midge6

Think I would put the tile in properly and forget about it. A new tiled floor is the worst senario, easier than the 'above' mayhem

I don’t want to bore the pants off everyone here, :smilewinkgrin: I have just said as much as I though necessary to see if there is a practical solution to my problem. To explain further, the tiled floor in question stretches from the porch by the front door through a very large hall area and includes the dining room. All the skirting and door architraves are fitted on top of the floor as is a fancy internal porch/hall glass door frame. To make matters more complicated, the open plan staircase sits on the tiled floor too. In the light of all this, you will doubtless understand, re-tiling the floor is not a project I have any desire in contemplating anytime soon. If it took me a couple of days to make up some kind of removable tile system, it would be time well spent IF I ever needed to use it.
To sum up, there are varying degrees of mayhem – re-tiling about 80 sq yards of flooring would be in a category of its own. :yikes:
Many thanks :thumbsup:
Midge.

PS Please keep the ideas coming - it is appreciated.

D

DHTiling

Hi midge...

Stick the tile to 6mm hardi backer....obviously you will need to lower that section of floor to accomadate the thickness...then bed the tile on a weak sand/cement mix...making sure it is packed in tight so it does not sink...then silicone the joint to prevent side to side movement..

Then it will lift out if needed but still have strength to support it but bieng a weak mix it will simply rake out easier.

M

Midge6

Hi midge...

Stick the tile to 6mm hardi backer....obviously you will need to lower that section of floor to accomadate the thickness...then bed the tile on a weak sand/cement mix...making sure it is packed in tight so it does not sink...then silicone the joint to prevent side to side movement..

Then it will lift out if needed but still have strength to support it but bieng a weak mix it will simply rake out easier.

Thanks Dave, that sounds interesting. :thumbsup:
I’ve just had a look at the Hardibacker Web site so I think I follow what you’re saying, but to be clear, if I wanted to get the tile up in the future, how would I go about it? Also, what would you consider to be a weak sand/cement mix – I’m thinking 7 or 8 to 1? Not wishing to sound cheeky but , :blush2: have you seen this done yourself?:lol:

Many thanks
Midge.

D

DHTiling

That is the best option i can think of to make the bed easier to remove...

NO hasn't been done by me before....but it's an option....Or one of the above....which ever way you do it needs to able to with stand foot traffic..

Personally i would just fill the hole and tile as normal...keep your fingers crossed....if the pipes do fail then thats what insurances are for...:thumbsup:

Reply to How to create a removable ceramic floor tile? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks